Forums Latest Members
  1. Gunner290 Jun 7, 2015

image.jpg Hey everyone I'm looking at making my first Omega purchase
    But need some advice to make sure I won't get burned.
    I'll be the first to admit I know NOTHING about these things!
    Movement works, keeps time, date functions as it should.
    The band is without a doubt a replacement.
    Something about the engraving on the inside seems a little off though.

Did the best I could on the pictures, the face is hard to photograph well with a phone.
    Looks and feels right, but I know there are some damned good fakes out there.

Any help and information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Serial 22365392
    Ref 166,002

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Pvt-Public Jun 7, 2015

Gunner290 likes this.
  3. Gunner290 Jun 7, 2015

Thank you Pvt-Public
    I simply do not know enough about them to make an educated purchase.
    I love how they look, I love the function and design but don't want to get fooled.
    And especially not ripped off.
    Seriously appreciate any and all help.

4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jun 7, 2015

From the first photo it looks like the second hand has been replaced and it has been polished but otherwise it is a good looking watch.

Gunner290 likes this.
  5. Gunner290 Jun 7, 2015

Giff2577 Thank you for the help
    I'm sure that devalues the watch somewhat but I'm glad to know this could be legit.
    What would be considered a reasonable offer?
    This is a private sale.

6. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 7, 2015

anybody know from the top of their heads what year Omega moved away from the coathanger "S" in Seamaster ...?

overall, I agree, the second hand seems off - the rest ok - IMHO those are watches that were so common and don't fetch a lot of money now (they are good value for money, tho), so they are not ones to be faked ... the 562 is a great workhorse caliber, and shares prob. 95+% of parts with the chronometer 561 found in the constellations... that were Omega's golden years ...

again, IMHO the relevant fact for those Seamasters is not to overpay, as they were pretty much "bread and butter watches" and are very abundant in the used market. Unlikely to be faked, likely to be frankenstein'd ... but then again, they are not really collector's items (from an investor's pov) - so the second hand should not be a dealbreaker if you can live with it...

Gunner290 likes this.
  7. Gunner290 Jun 7, 2015

AI128. Thank you for the sage advice!
    I'm not after a unicorn yet, just a simple well made watch with character.
    Would you suggest an absolute "do not pay more than" amount?
    While I love the look and feel of the watch I'd rather not find out after the fact that I went way over market value.
    Thanks again

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 7, 2015

If that's what you're after - probably a great watch to get ... the movement-family (55x/56x) is a staple in all "best movements ever built - top 10" rankings ;-)

Pricing depends heavily on where you are located, I am in South America and here they go normally between U$300-400 - but I also picked up nice once for as low as 250. choosing the "sold listings" option on ebay will give you a good feeling as well. Having said that, thats a watch that is 50 years old and it will last you 50 more - so don't beat yourself up over 50 bucks you might be overspending. Make sure its in nice working order, there is little to check, make sure the date turns over correctly at 24 hours, as it does not have the fast calendar (IIRC)

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-seamaster-calibre-562-2/

Again, nice watch, frequent enough to wait for the best model you can swing (again, you can buy 2-3 of those locally every day of the year) - so if you are not pressed for time you can sit it out for a 100% original or pick up this exemplar ... cant go wrong with either ...

Just like most of us - you are probably overthinking the whole thing ;-) ...

Gunner290 likes this.