Need help authenticate pocket watch 43.15L Grade Verybest

Hello everybody,

I've inherited several Omega watches a few years ago, and tried try to find what model they were, but with no results.
I recently grew a strong interest in watchmaking and decided to open them myself to see the calibers.

The pocket watch is a caliber 43.15 L, "Omega Watch CO Grade Verybest" and it's working perfectly fine and seems in great condition.
From the information I gathered they made 600 of this caliber: 300 “Lépine” movements (for open-face watch) and 300 “savonnette” movements (for hunting-case watch).
I've seen a few S calibers on golden pocket watches but the only L I've seen is this one, and it got a different face: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-pocket-watch-chronometre-generating-interest.46729/
I searched for hours and didn't found the same exact face my watch has.

The case is made in steel (Acier Staybrite) and the serial number is in the 8 million range. I don't know if it's safe to share them, thus I hid the end of the one on the movement (It's in the 5 million range).

I've got several questions:

- Is it authentic ? And if yes:
- Does somebody have more information on this particular model ?
- How much is it worth approximately ? Although I didn't think I'll sell it as it's belonged to my family.

I don't think the other watches are as rare so I'll try to search more before asking here again.

Thanks a lot for your help

PS: English is not my main language so there's may be mistakes on technical terms.

face_pocket.jpg Inkedcaliber_pocket.jpg Inkedcaliber_pocket2.jpg

Like 9
Your Omega is virtually the same watch as the highest grade Louis Brandt & freres, 23-jewel, grade CCCR. The CCCR Brandt was railroad approved in Canada, and I suspect your Omega would have been, as well. Approved in the U S A? That I don’t know. U S railroads preferred American made watches as a rule. Very very nice! It deserves several likes! However, with your dial, it is unlikely yourwatch would have been railroad approved.

Like 2
Thank you Patrik! And hello VP.

The VERYBEST was a special watch! You don’t show the case and the dial is at least ‘unusual’ for this watch – but these watches were sold in different forms over a number of years…
Here is a more usual dial from a 43.15 of mine (maybe dating a bit before yours):

Tom's 43.15.png

Before we get into the movement (the important part!), a comment on the hands. These (distinctive) hands were used on the reference CK374 with the calibre 38.5 ‘Quarantenaire’ watch, produced in 1934 to commemorate Omega’s 40th anniversary (image follows)(and now I’m getting into the territory of @Tire-comedon). They also appeared a bit later on the Diplomat.
Quarantenaire 2.jpg

This thread (especially bottom of the first page) may also be of interest:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-omega-pocket-watch-thread.122246/

The 43.15 was introduced in 1922 – but was used in watches for some years after that. The sequencing of both case and movement numbers of Omega’s products up to and including this period can be confusing! This was particularly because numbers were sometimes allocated in batches: it is not unusual to find watches which were issued at the same time with case or movement numbers that differ by maybe a million! – because of the batch that they came from. I would expect that your watch dates about 1936 – even with a movement that dates from 1922.

Regarding the calibre, as so often with anything to do with old Omegas, the Omega book ‘A Journey Through Time’ by Marco Richon offers so much. The highest quality produced by Omega was given the grade ‘DDR’ – and Marco gives a detailed description of the calibre 19’’’DDR (dating 1905) which he describes as being “A high-precision piece with the benefit of equally precise adjustment, it represents the best of what was then possible. The pinnacle of mechanised horology, no calibre of this quality had ever been produced in a factory!”

The 19’’’DDR was replaced by the 43.15 VERYBEST in 1922 (with the same quality), and here is Marco’s description:
“It had 23 jewels, 18 in chatons, two of them at the barrel. Negative setting, intermediate wheel fixed on the bottom plate. Guillaume balance with gold screws, balance spring with Phillips’ curves, index with a graduated snail regulator, polished and chamfered assortment adjusted for positions and temperature within the limits fixed by the observatories, especially well-finished high-quality components.”

He also records that the 300 lépine (open face) movements produced (thus including yours VP) had numbers 5,983,402 to 5,983,701, and the 300 savonette (hunter) movements had numbers 5,983,702 to 5,984,001.

The summary answers to your questions VP are that your movement would appear to be authentic – but the first stage of confirmation would be to ask Omega Heritage for an Extract of their Archive (costs about $120), giving them your case number.

I hope the above information is of interest. As for value – it’s impossible to say (not least because you don’t show the watch!).
Tom

Like 6
Your Omega is virtually the same watch as the highest grade Louis Brandt & freres, 23-jewel, grade CCCR

the "very best" cal. 43.15 is the same as DDR (later renamed to very best)

Like 1
Hi OMTOM,

Thanks for all those information and details, it's very helpful.
The serial number is indeed in the range you gave so I would assume it's authentic.

The thread on the hands is also useful, I never found exactly the same ones.
It's hard to see on the pic but mine are blue, it really shows under the right angle and light.

The dial is still the mystery part for me as the typo looks more "modern" than the other 43.15 I've seen.

I've considered the Omega Archives but I would rather invest in tools and other watches for the moment. Maybe I'll ask directly for an authentication when I'll have 800€ to spent.
Dou you know how often this caliber needs to be serviced ? I think it hasn't been done in literal decades and I'm surprised it's still working.

For the value part I didn't understood what you meant, how should I take pics to help you?

Here's some pics of the case if you want:

back2.jpgbaCK.jpg back 3.jpg

Thanks again to everybody for your interest and sharing your knowledge,

Regards,
VP

Like 1
Thank you VP.

Regarding service, anybody on this forum would recommend that you should have the watch serviced, if you plan to run it (why not?!): finding a suitable watchmaker at a reasonable cost is a separate query, depending on where you live – but the watch should be a routine service for the right watchmaker, nothing complicated (not just a battery-changer!). As you describe, the movement has probably seen no lubrication for many years.

I agree with your comments about the dial being ‘more modern’ – but it corresponds with dials of other calibres from this period (as described, my guess is about 1936) and is indeed a later dial than some 43.15 VERYBEST.

Regarding value, as described this was a special calibre – but some of these watches were cased in 18 carat gold. I don’t think you should expect big money! I can’t give you a figure (which isn’t the style on this forum) – but it only needs two people who have an interest… The attraction of an Extract is to confirm the ‘authenticity’ – about which you asked. It looks authentic – but (assuming it features in the Archive – there are some gaps) an Extract would at least confirm that the movement and case started life together and give you a date. I doubt that Omega Heritage can offer more than that anyway.
Good luck, Tom

Like 2