Forums Latest Members
  1. Zed Jun 5, 2017

Hi all!
    My interest for exclusive watches is pretty new so I could need some good advise. I´m asking on behalf of my father. Heres the deal: my dear father recently showed me his vintage Speedmaster that has been laying in a drawer, unused, for the past +40 years. He bought it when he was a young man, I think, second hand. He has no clue about the potential value.
    He claims it´s a -65 which from what I have read on Speedmaster101, seems possible when analyzing it. I haven´t dared open it up.
    So, because my father has owned it since sometime in the 70-ies, it´s most likley untampered with. This also includes that it hasn't´t been serviced even once.
    I think it is in pretty good condition, except for of a very worn plexi glass and overall dirt.
    So here comes the questions:
    -how do i proceed from here to get this into shape without loosing any of the potential value, or rather, how do I maximize it´s value?
    -What could a watch like this be worth?
    -It this a watch one could wear on a daily basis or should it be locked in a safe?
    -How bad do you reckon the movement is due to it never being serviced?
    -Is a new plexi devastating for it´s value, or should I try to polish it up?

Super thanks for any input. I live in Sweden so if anyone knows a good place to take it for service I would be glad!

Best regards/ Zed IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 5, 2017

Welcome Zed...

In short, that watch is worth $9-12k+ depending on reference.

Sent to STS or Simon Freese in the UK for service, and when you get it back, wear the hell out of it.

It looks like a killer original watch, congrats.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 5, 2017

Very very nice. Looks like a 1964 or 65 105.012. Could be all original but the bracelet is a replacement from the early 70's.

How bad do you reckon the movement is due to it never being serviced? Movement should be fine if it sat in a drawer. Just get it serviced by a quality shop that understands vintage.............never get it serviced by Omega
    -Is a new plexi devastating for it´s value, or should I try to polish it up? No but get advice from the servicing shop

Zed likes this.
  4. Davidt Jun 5, 2017

Looks like a 105.012-65/66.

Interesting that the bracelet is marked 70. It either sat in the shop for a while and was sold in 1970 or it's a later addition/replacement.

It looks very original with correct and lovely condition dial, bezel, unpolished case etc.

The movement may well be fine, but get it serviced before wearing it properly. Changing the crystal is not a major issue but it may polish up. Similarly the pushers are often changed at serviced but these are original and correct so worth trying to save.

STS or Simon Freese in the U.K. are the best options. They'll return to you a stunning watch that can be worn daily.

5. M'Bob Jun 5, 2017

Interesting. So that reference does not always have the double-bevel back, correct?

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 5, 2017

Original single family watches like this sell for a premium. Ironically as soon as a collector touches it then it loses that premium.

This is a valuable, attractive watch. It's actually very attractive indeed.

My reckoning is that it is a 105.012-66HF.

It's a lovely dial handset and lume.

Send it to www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com. He knows how to handle this.

If it were my watch I would service it, replace the crystal and keep the crown and pushers. The pushers are very important as they are original with thick tubes and irreplaceable (effectively).

It's a really nice watch and if receives the right attention would be worth a little more than has been suggested in my opinion. As much as $15k and more if you found the paperwork.

7. U5512 Jun 5, 2017

Very nice find from within the family!!!

SeanotheDead and Zed like this.
  8. tapaptpat Jun 5, 2017

1st suggestion, don't wind it if it's been sat in a draw for years leave the pushers alone.

2nd you didn't mention were your located. This is so members can advise you of a reputable watchmaker who will not alter the spirit of the watch. DO NOT take it an Omega AD, as if it gets sent to Bien, Switzerland there is no guarantee that you'll keep the dial hand pushers etc etc.
    You'll only want to service the movement and have new seals installed. That's it. If your in the UK I'd suggest STS (Swiss time Services)

You did the best thing for your dad's watch by asking here.

I'll let other people do the scrutaneering, but from my humble know how it looks good.

Cheers
    Pat

Zed and gemini4 like this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 5, 2017

If it was my find, I would have wound it up in 10 secs and played with every complication:)

OP said he is in Sweden

10. Dgercp Jun 5, 2017

These are the finds that we all drool over here on OF. A beautiful example which will clean up stunningly.
    I need more relatives with more drawers :)

11. Edwinowl Jun 5, 2017

I was fortunate enough to pick up an Heuer that was similar circumstances to this and had been in a drawer for 42 years.
    Went straight off for service and I kept everything original even though the glass was badly scratched and hands needed a relume.
    It's a keeper and investment as this would be if I were you.
    Best of both worlds, stunning watch and solid investment.
    Enjoy

gminnj and Zed like this.
  12. Zed Jun 5, 2017

Thank you very much for all your replies! It´s kind of what I was hoping to hear =) Are the estimations here in dollars? Holy moly.....
    Can I trust that the service centers mentioned here are well in tune with whats important on a vintage like this? I´ll start by contacting them and ask for their suggestions!

Strap questions: I like the look of the speedmaster on brown leather straps. How much of this watch´s "mojo" is in the current strap do you think? Is it "ok" to change if? Where can i buy good quality straps? Is it important that it´s omega or can it be third party? Sorry for the newbie questions, but i´m a newbie =)

13. tapaptpat Jun 5, 2017

Oh fan. I missed that...

14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 5, 2017

Most all of us trust or would trust Simon with our beloved watches...he is your man.

Nathan1967 and Zed like this.
  15. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 5, 2017

The watch is very nice, but let me say this - wear the hell out of it! Don't think about dollars and cents. It's a piece of your father's life, and now it'll be a part of yours...something that only happens if you wear it dutifully.

Also, Simon or STS are top notch. That's where it should go.

16. Zed Jun 5, 2017

I sure will! The "dollars and cents" are mostly to not do anything stupid to it.

GuiltyBoomerang and tapaptpat like this.
  17. propervinyl Jun 5, 2017

Thats it right there...

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  18. Igora Jun 5, 2017

this is bomb find.. service it and wear it from time to time. not too much! ;)

19. pfibiger Jun 5, 2017

wow. absolutely stunning watch! i dream of finding a dial in that shape for my 145.012.

20. WatchArt Jun 5, 2017

Gorgeous lucky find and maybe you should get it checked out, fixed up and give back to dad for fathers day? At some point it will pass generations, but maybe it will bring him back some wonderful memories? Just a thought. . .

Mapearso, tapaptpat, Zed and 2 others like this.