Forums Latest Members

Need good set of jeweller's screwdrivers

1. Alphasports May 7, 2018

Can anyone recommend a good set of "high leverage" slotted screwdrivers for Rolex/Omega grade bracelet adjustment? Amazon yields nothing but junk. I really just need the small slot for modern Rolex bracelet adjustment but I need one with a fair bit of leverage i.e. a big handle, but most of the sets out there use the annoying "tiny handle for tiny blade" approach which makes for a potential mess of the screwhead (not to mention the hole I just put in my thumb) when trying to unstick the Loctite with a tiny driver...

Maybe I should just go to my AD ;)

Thanks

2. tikkathree May 7, 2018

but, with more leverage on that tiny blade in that tiny slot, wouldn't the potential exist for more head stripping?
    Bracelet of the watch? Try any or all of the following:
    >Stick it in the freezer for an hour.
    >Try applying tightening force first then try to unscrew.
    >Place a drop of lighter fluid on the head of the loctited screw and let it soak in.
    >Try hot water on the bracelet then try tightening before untighening.

We all learn by the injuries we self-inflict. Blood on metal, that's a problem.

3. Alphasports May 7, 2018

Thanks! Yes I agree re extra leverage = risk of more damage, so I backed off which is what led to my puncture wound, somehow ;)

While the hole in my thumb is self-sealing I will re-charge my will to re-attempt the procedure, with caution.

4. Vitezi May 7, 2018

5. Alphasports May 7, 2018

6. Gurn May 8, 2018

Sounds like a job for bacon

Archer and Vercingetorix like this.
  7. Edwinowl May 8, 2018

There are some great bargains on the bay if you look, often retired watchmakers tools, they need sharpening and as good as new, be patient and have a good look around

Gurn likes this.