Forums Latest Members
  1. MacSen Jan 11, 2013

Hi, I'm new here, and I hope that you can help me.
    Since always I wanted to be a happy owner of Omega's watch. Unfortunately, cost of them is to high, so for a long time they were out of my range. To solve this out I thought about buying an old vintage Omega. Lately I have found two models, which seems to me to be interesting ones. Nonetheless I heard a lot about fake Omegas and naturally I would like to avoid the situation whereas I become an owner of this kind of "watch" instead of Omega. Here is my request - please help me to decide whether are these two types are worth to buying or is it better to look for something else. In short - what experts think about them? It's clear to me that belts are not original, but that is propably all I can said about them.

The first one is Omega Geneve from 67', cal. 613 and it costs ca. 450$.
    G1.jpg G2.jpg G3.jpg G4.jpg G5.jpg View attachment 10334 G6.jpg G7.jpg

The second one is Omega Seamaster from 56', cal. 267 and it costs ca. 400$. (By the way, could you tell me what is the main difference between these two types of mechanisms?)
    S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg S4.jpg S5.jpg S6.jpg S7.jpg

I will be grateful for every help.
    Yours MacSen

2. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

Don't like either to be honest. Both are heavily polished and the crispness on the case edges is gone. The second watch is a service replacement dial - you can tell by the Ω symbol. That should have the applied metal, and that shape on the dial now wasn't used until the 70's. I'd have to check on the first one but I suspect it may be a redial. The SWISS MADE is too far apart, but there were exceptions to that rule. There are a TON of these that were redialed, but an original should look like this:

[​IMG]

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 11, 2013

Have a look at the sales forum here. I think there are a couple in that price range, from trusted sellers.

4. Poloplayer Antimagnetic Member Jan 12, 2013

Hi Dennis - as they say, "every day is a day at school" so with that in mind....

The 'Omega' script on the first one looks uneven to me - does it look that way to you?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

7. MacSen Jan 12, 2013

Thanks for help. Now I know how many detail are important :)

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 12, 2013

9. MacSen Jan 18, 2013

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

IMO, the dial is original and the hands aren't. Generally, with vintage Omega, the hands should reach to the edge of the minutes track and no further. Otherwise, it is difficult to read the exact time.

Something just looks a bit funny on that watch,
    gatorcpa

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

You sure about that Gator? Omega made it a habit of using the long size hands and even the same hands on these 266-283 manual models with both inner and outer tracks, even though the hands over extended the markers the inner track dial models .
    2.JPG 3.jpg 4.JPG

265_mint_odlund.jpg Huntershooter.jpg

12. Dablitzer Jan 18, 2013

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358522217.098180.jpg

I thought so too..I don't think that's a bad watch.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

Hmmm...I could be off there.

The last two "bullseyes" you show have minutes registers at the edge, so those two are good'uns for sure.

The other ones just look strange to me.
    gatorcpa

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

I would agree with Steve - for some of these models, it wasn't unusual to use hands that extended beyond the minute registers.

Here is one I have that is near mint - not only does the minute hand extend beyond the minute track, it is also longer than the seconds hand!

[​IMG]

loveomega likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2013

I have totally agree with you that it looks strange, but that's Omega for you ;)

16. MacSen Jan 19, 2013

Thanks everyone for helpful replies.

@ Dablitzer: Do you know where I can get brown strip like the one on your picture?

17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 19, 2013

As a response to
    "I would go for this one in a heartbeat: http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-day-date.3119/"

Correct me if I am wrong but to my knowledge that case should have a radially brushed bezel.
    regards
    JE
    Here is my chronometer version of the same watch. NOS (before I used it). At one time I had three NOS in my lap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gavin and dsio like this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2013

Nice trio!

MacSen likes this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2013

You are quite right, the bezel should be radially brushed. Probably reflected in the price. It could be rebrushed correctly as it is stainless. I'm sure Mike will tell the story... I own several too, though no NOS like yours. Mike owns several NOS, including a white gold.