Forums Latest Members
  1. bstat2008 Dec 18, 2014

I have had my 1970 Omega Seamaster Deville for a little less than a year now. About a month ago it started running fast. I mean really fast ( about 15 seconds every minute.) After doing some research it seems the most likely reason for this is that the hairspring has stopped working correctly.
    My question is about how much should this cost to get fixed.

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 18, 2014

Unless you have opened the watch and damaged the hairspring of allowed it to become contaminated with oil (making the coils stick together) the most likely cause is that it has become magnetised. Any watchmaker could fix this in seconds.

3. mozambique Dec 18, 2014

My Cal 321 speedmaster had the same issue i.e. running very fast and was diagnosed with a broken hairspring. $50 for the part. Not sure on labour as it was replaced during a service.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 18, 2014

:thumbsup:

Most likely cause.

Should take no more than a minute to do and then see if it's still fast and diagnose from there.

Cheers

Jim

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 19, 2014

Did you get the old part back? If so, can you please post a photo of it thanks.

Cheers, Al

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 19, 2014

Demagnetizing is the first thing I would try - quick and if you find the right shop they likely won't even charge for it. If they do it would be a very small fee.

Cheers, Al

7. bstat2008 Dec 20, 2014

Thank you for all the replies. I will check if it is a magnetization issue with a watch repair shop.