Forums Latest Members

need advise on a vintage Seamaster Chronostop Roulette ref#145.008

1. Navidhs Apr 20, 2018

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this Forum and this is my very first post and I'm looking forward to hearing you-all's opinion and advise on this.My father recently gave me his old Seamaster chronostop with roulette bezel that he had bought brand new back in late sixties as a birthday gift and love the watch since it still looks amazing to me. however, as you can see from the pictures over time the whites on the inner bezel and the dial have faded to a yellowish tint and was debating if I should have them replaced and restored. everything on the watch works great and still hold time real good. I believe he had it serviced few years back. I reached to Nesbit's fine watch services in Seattle based on a referral from Kringkily(George) and they gave me reasonable price to replace the bezel and the dial. however, they said they can not do that without a complete service to the watch due to liability reasons(expensive service as you can Imagine). so here are my questions for you guys
    first, should I even mess with this watch to begin with since the bezel and the dial are not terribly bad and everything is in working condition?
    second, I do not know much about older Watches so by doing this would this effect the value of this watch (no intention to sell but would like to know)?
    third, if I decide to do this any suggestions as far as any other reputable shops In U.S that can do this job?
    and finally I would appreciate any general advise you guys can give me about this Watch.
    thanks,
    20180420_112456.jpg 20180420_112531_HDR.jpg

20180420_112548.jpg
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 20, 2018

It is great as is. Get a service and call it very good. Changing the bezel/dial may adversely affect the value. It would depend on the buyer of course. Purist say "if it has patina, don't fix it". What bothers me more about your watch is that the sunburst was polished off.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 20, 2018

Where are you located? LA Watch Werks has a good reputation. Service can be done by mail. They specialize in vintage restoration and service.

4. Navidhs Apr 20, 2018

I noticed that about the finish! I'm In Dallas Area. that is the hard part deciding on what to do. leave it alone or get it done. I will contact LA watch Werks just to see what they tell me. thanks

5. pmontoyap Apr 21, 2018

I wouldnt touch the dial or bezel but do service it if you plan to wear it. I would look into proper case refinish as well

6. ulackfocus Apr 21, 2018

Oh dear God, DO NOT replace the parts! It's showing the light aging that is wonderful on an heirloom. Get it serviced and wear it. Every time you see the very wonderful ever-so-faint patina, it will remind you of it's family history and your father.

If you want a new watch, go buy one.

Longbow and kingsrider like this.
  7. Navidhs Apr 21, 2018

I appreciate your input and you are right, I'm just going to keep it the way it is.It is wonderful as it is! :)

GsxrTom and chipsotoole like this.