Forums Latest Members

Need Advice: Short Power Reserve on Cal 351 Bumper Seamaster

1. davidson Mar 12, 2018

Hey folks! I have a 1950 Seamaster 2635-1 with a bumper cal 351 movement. After a test the other day, I noticed that the power reserve is MUCH lower than it should be - only getting about 5-10 hours or run time after a full wind. I took the watch to a very reputable CW21 certified tech here in California who gave it a look and said that the weak power reserve is the result of a tired mainspring. However, he said he doesn't fix that type/vintage of watch anymore. His advice was to enjoy the watch as-is, and I respect his suggestion. If I found the right mainspring somewhere, I wouldn't dare try to fix it myself. The watch is beautiful and I love wearing it but I just want it to be running at its best, if that makes sense. I would like to know if you all have any suggestions for who you would trust to service it or if you can tell me what you would do in the same situation. Thanks in advance!

2. Canuck Mar 12, 2018

I have very recently replaced mainsprings in both my Omega bumper automatics. I am baffled that a watchmaker would turn down the repair to your watch. Unless of course he discovered much more than just the mainspring to be requiring attention. These watches are pretty well obsolete, but mainsprings are available. Chances are you might find your watch requiring a total servicing. It must come pretty much half way to pieces to do the spring, so it makes sense to do the whole job.

Power reserve of only a few hours? I suspect a broken mainspring, or a slipping bridle (clutch).

davidson and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. davidson Mar 12, 2018

He said something about the bumper models having a higher risk of causing more problems by taking them apart to service one thing. Not sure.

Hmmm ok that's a possibility. I gave it what I believe to be a full wind in the evening around dinner time, sat it down on my dresser and woke up the next morning to find it had stopped in the early morning.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 12, 2018

A short power reserve is rarely just a mainspring problem. In most cases it indicates the need for a complete service.

When was the watch last serviced?

Cheers, Al

davidson likes this.
  5. redpcar Mar 12, 2018

Your guy simply didn't want to mess with it. Enough money changing batteries and sizing rings?
    Agree with Al is that you most likely need it serviced. Did your CW21 tech guy put it on a timegrapher or just hand it back to you?

WhatYourWatchSay and davidson like this.
  6. davidson Mar 12, 2018

I am not sure. I bought it within the last year but I don't know when the previous owner had it serviced last. I guess I'll look for someone else who will take a good look at it and hopefully it won't take much to get it into top working order.

Good question. He took it back to his table for about five minutes, opened it, closed it and handed it back to me.