Forums Latest Members

Need advice on this vintage Patek Philippe

1. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

I have been offered this vintage watch. Any advice will be greatly appreciated if worth buying. I have been told the back case is of solid gold but not of original PP. The rest is original with the exception of refinished dial.
    Thank you friends.

2. Dan S Jul 8, 2021

IMO there is not enough remaining of the original watch to make it desirable or appealing as an actual watch.

Traveler, Tony C., Rudi99 and 5 others like this.
  3. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

Thank you Dan. Do you think if the case is original PP?

4. ConElPueblo Jul 8, 2021

It is not even a Swiss made case to begin with. Does it habe any markings on the inside caseback?

Dan S likes this.
  5. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

The inside back case is stamped with 14k only nothing else. I was offered for around £600 so was thinking perhaps the movement alone was worth it. Anyway thanks for your help and will steer away unless someone suggest the otherwise.

6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 8, 2021

That looks like a movement thats been bodged into the case from something else.

too much wrong for it to be anything but a money pit.

a kind of classy money pit, but a money pit none the less.

ConElPueblo and nclondon like this.
  7. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

Thank you Fritz.

8. Dan S Jul 8, 2021

We often read this type of argument from newbies, but let us help you think it through. For the sake of argument let's assume that the movement and scrap gold are worth 600£. If you buy it, you will have traded the cash for an "equivalent" value of watch parts. The watch will give you little joy, and there is certainly no significant profit to be made by parting it out. So what is the upside to the purchase? Those funds are better used elsewhere IMO.

9. Evitzee Jul 8, 2021

Hard pass, you would never be happy with a mongrel like that.

MtnMarine and marcn like this.
  10. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

Well said!

Dan S likes this.
  11. nclondon Jul 8, 2021

Thank you everyone. It’s really been a great help and your time is greatly appreciated.

Syzygy and ConElPueblo like this.
  12. ConElPueblo Jul 8, 2021

Spend some time looking through the old threads here, and if you are offered something that catches your fancy again, slow down and research dial types, reference numbers and so on. Looking forward to seeing your next find :thumbsup:

Syzygy likes this.
  13. jud Jul 8, 2021

Ok. I'm going to give you another option, although not cheap.

PP will re-case an old movement much the same way that Omega will, for instance this is how some people end up with a "WatchCo" Seamaster.

Having PP re-case an old movement is not cheap, but it will make a cool story of how you brought an old watch movement back to life.

14. nclondon Jul 9, 2021

Sorry I am not sure if I needed to start a new post? But anyways waiting for any input.

15. Canuck Jul 9, 2021

The design of the bracelet would mean that watch would be unwearable! Pass!

16. timecube Jul 9, 2021

No, you're fine.

The watch on the other hand.....

17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 9, 2021

It's beginning to appear as if you are shopping for high-end "bargains", which is well and good if you simply intend to wear the watch, and don't care about re-sale values. But if you do care about the latter, then you are, as they say, barking up the wrong tree.

nclondon likes this.
  18. nclondon Jul 9, 2021

Thank you Tony. I am a huge Omega fan and relish their watches. I was just wondering if it is a genuine PP?

Edited Jul 9, 2021
  19. Canuck Jul 9, 2021

I think it should be message board policy that we refrain from entering into discussions of value or whether a watch is genuine or not, when dealing with “flippers” like the OP.

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 9, 2021

If you find a "cheap" AP, PP, or V&C, the likelihood of there being good potential for profit on re-sale is very small. There is, with few exceptions, a good reason that they are cheap to begin with.

In order to play that game successfully, you need both knowledge and experience, and, as suggested above, it's not good form to simply ask more knowledgable collectors if you can realize a profit on a given watch.

Shabbaz likes this.