Forums Latest Members
  1. Whag Jun 21, 2014

Dear forum members,

i am writing you, since i am intending to buy a 1950 seamaster 30 cal 283. I read from earlier posts many of you have a lot of experience on vintage omegas. As being a newbie in this area, I am seeking your advise on the authenticity of this seamaster:

http://www.uurwerkshop.nl/omega-seamaster/omega-seamaster-30-military-watch/

seems rare: double seconds and cal283. However something tells me it is not right.

your help is very appreciated.

wh

2. fjf Jun 21, 2014

Never seen a double seconds. And the dial looks repainted. Not an expert, but probably fake.

3. John R Smith Jun 21, 2014

Calibre 283 is a centre seconds movement.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 21, 2014

I seen both center and sub second 283 movements, my own is a sub second model.

But both? sounds like a frankinwatch to me.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 21, 2014

Omega made a very few watches with double seconds hands:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...y-rare-and-unusual-large-4982738-details.aspx

Far more likely that this was an attempt to "recreate" such a watch by putting together parts from various movements. There was an earlier discussion about this on the forum:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/ranchero-with-center-and-6-o-clock-second-hands.11357/

With respect to the original watch being discussed here, the dial looks to be redone and the hands aren't correct.

I would pass on this one without some sort of provenance from Omega on the movement.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. Whag Jun 21, 2014

Dear All,

thanks a lot; this has been really helpful. I had my doubts too; I will pass on this watch.

Thanks again

7. Poday Jun 22, 2014

Can anyone explain the reason for a "double seconds" watch to exist? I can't think of any benefit at all, and I know that if I had one, and the two seconds hands weren't exactly synced, I would scream every time I noticed that they were a bit off.

DaveK likes this.
  8. Dr No Jun 22, 2014

The central seconds hand jumps, while the subsidiary seconds hand ticks. It's an unusual configuration, and one I've never seen in person.

Probably more compelling in operation than by description.

9. Poday Jun 22, 2014

I'm sure it's interesting to see, and probably interesting from an engineering perspective, but I just don't understand why.

10. Dr No Jun 22, 2014

In a broad sense, it's horological humor. There's no pretense at utility or necessity; it just looks cool.

Of course, that was more obvious before quartz movements became commonplace. Nowadays, you almost have to be well versed in the mechanics of watchmaking to fully appreciate how difficult a complication it is to put into effect. I've seen a few dead seconds (FPJ, Grönefeld, Habring) in person, and they're fascinating to observe, mainly because there's an awareness of how rare and complex they truly are.

11. Poday Jun 22, 2014

The dead seconds I get, it's the dual seconds thing that has me stumped. In the end, I guess I don't have to understand the purpose, as I'll probably never see one in person