Forums Latest Members
  1. leeroyclarkson Oct 12, 2015

I have my grandfathers (as far as I can tell) 1959 (based off the serial not the sell date) omega seamaster which he bought during his time in the Navy. I have included all the paperwork and boxes and photos and am looking for advice on what to do. I had BenBridge (which was listed as an official Omega repair center) get it working about 10 years ago after waiting for 4 months and every time I went in there they literally forgot about the watch and had to call about it and said he was still working on it, then I was told one of the jewels were cracked and was replaced. I got it back with new band and crystal (which I am betting is acrylic now) and scratches on the back. I was pissed and disappointed, I think they did more harm than good. It stopped working about 3 months after that again.

I am asking whether it would be worth it to send it into actual Omega for restoration and how does that process work because the Omega website has some vague instructions on it or do you have a recommendation of a watch maker I can trust to send it in too. And what can I expect the damage will be, I am not a rich man and this is by far the most expansive watch I have working or not but want to restore it for my grandfathers memory.

Also additional information you guy could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated as far as movement or year or condition I would be grateful (would it even be worth it to try and restore) (should I avoid cleaning the face), I am newly into learning about automatic movements and care of them.

IMG_5786.JPG IMG_5787.JPG IMG_5788.JPG IMG_5789.JPG IMG_5790.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 12, 2015

If you're not rich, don't send it to Omega. That's likely the most expensive of your options. Let us know where you are and I'm sure someone will gladly point you to a watchmaker experienced in vintage Omegas.

3. leeroyclarkson Oct 12, 2015

North Carolina, around the Wilmington area. I mean its the only thing I have of him, so I don't mind a little, but was asking if anyone has experience with it and are we talking 500's or like 1000's?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 12, 2015

5. italy1861 Oct 12, 2015

Hard to say how much it will cost until you find out why it stopped running.. I wouldn't have the case touched except a good cleaning, no polishing. Replacing the crystal is up to you. Leave the dial, hands and crown alone. Definitely have the movement serviced. If major parts inside need replacement, it could easily get expensive. Since it means a lot to you sentimentally, I'd say it's well worth looking into.

6. leeroyclarkson Oct 12, 2015

Thats what i was wondering, so is it popular opinion to not clean up the face or hands? Because it seems they are getting a little pitted or old.

7. italy1861 Oct 12, 2015

Dial could possibly be damaged from cleaning it so I wouldn't. Most here wouldn't change anything from the way it came from Omega originally. Replacement hands and crowns sometimes are slightly different and have modern luminous material. Same with replacement dials. If you decide to replace them, keep everything so if you change your mind, you can always have it returned to its original state. I think a good cleaning and a new crystal will make it look much better.

8. leeroyclarkson Oct 12, 2015

Thats what I meant, or where I am confused, I'd like to have the face cleaned, not replaced, because in the photos it looks a little dusty or grimy, would you not recommend that?

9. Canuck Oct 12, 2015

Cosmetic features such as the dial are best treated with extreme caution! Your watch is 52 years old. The dial is in excellent condition for a watch of that vintage! Sometimes, trying to "improve" a dial that is as good as yours can result in undesired effects. Loose dirt should be removed, but washing or scrubbing should be avoided. Some of what you are calling dirt might be on the underside of the crystal. If the crystal is to be replaced, a genuine only replacement Omega part should be used. NOT a generic replacement. There is an important difference between the two. Sentimentally and intrinsically, your watch is worth doing the job right!

10. TNTwatch Oct 12, 2015

What you see on the face (the dial) is not dirt, it's oxidation of the paint layers on the dial. It's not loose dirt so to clean means to remove the oxidation which will remove and damage the original finish of the dial. It's the worst thing that can happen to a vintage watch, of which the dial is the most valuable part.

Your watch may show a bit of age but it still look good enough for a vintage watch. Furthermore, it reflects its true history which is even more valuable to you than the watch itself. There's no need to do much, if anything, to its cosmetic appearance. All needed is to have the movement serviced, which should cost about $200 plus parts if necessary at most places (some are better than the other).

The crystal is not cracked so no need to waste it if it's genuine with a small Omega symbol in the middle, just give it some polishing. The hands don't look too bad either, so it's better to leave them alone. Replacing with new hands or reapply the luminous subtance will make them look newer, out of place with the whole watch.

11. Hijak Oct 12, 2015

You have a very nice looking vintage watch! It only needs a movement service...all the aging will remind you of your Grandfather, what a nice heirloom watch.:thumbsup:

Archer likes this.
  12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 12, 2015

Like they say on TV "Don't touch that dial!"

I bought almost an identical watch, 491 caliber, SN 1666xxxx and when I realized the dial wasn't original I was crushed.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 12, 2015

....on radio actually

Wasn't it?

But don't touch it as the man says

14. flyingout Oct 13, 2015

Don't touch that remote!

Well, that doesn't quite work, but it is a very lovely vintage remote control. If I came across my grandfather's remote control, first I would cry, then I would get it working but otherwise not alter it.

P.S. There are a few around here who don't agree with this advice, but we generally ignore them. ::bleh::

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 13, 2015

I'm (just) old enough to remember a dial on the TV (we took our time with technology in the far north of England...)

But the message is DON'T TOUCH THE DIAL!!
    It's really lovely as it is
    Can't see an Omega symbol - so it's okay to replace the crystal which will enhance the watch no end
    Congrats on a great family piece