Forums Latest Members
  1. jsinghdreams Jul 18, 2015

Hi All,

So I'm looking into getting in the vintage omega watch game.

I've been hunting mostly on eBay but have hesitated from pulling the trigger because every time I learn something new or am a bit nervous about buying a piece of [emoji90].

Anyways I wanted a bit of advice on the three variations I seem to have found in constellations:
    -mechanical
    -f300 (hummer)
    -quartz

So far it seems that the Vintage omegas are most desirable in the above order and that the f300's have a humming that some people enjoy while others do not. Moreover the f300's are supposedly more expensive to repair.

What other information should I know about owning these watches?

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 18, 2015

mechanical = good
    f300 = cool & interesting.... but only okay in the long run.
    quartz.... you'd better ask "Ulackfocus" because my mom won't let me use that kind of language.

bottom line.... you want something that "ticks"

A nice Constellation with a 564 caliber will last forever if well taken care of and won't break the bank to buy or maintain.

600 caliber or 30mm movements are also great if you don't mind the massive effort of winding the thing each morning
    (which is like saying you mind having sex really.....)

P1000323.JPG

jsinghdreams and Giff2577 like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 18, 2015

Almost everybody on here (me included) will tell you to go for mechanical. Many of the quartz movements and parts are obsolete so keeping them running will be difficult or impossible. This also applies to the hummers, to a certain extent.

Which ever way you decide to go, do your research, thoroughly before diving in. Research the validity of the dial, case, hands and movement and by all means ask questions on the forum, but if you want help it is always better to prove that you have made an effort to understand the good and bad points of a particular watch before you ask. In other words, exercise due diligence, as best you can, rather than expecting other people to do it for you. This may sound harsh but, collectively, the members here have thousands of years experience that has been learned the hard way by making (sometimes) expensive mistakes and spending thousands of hours researching their prospective purchases.

If you had to employ a professional advisor, it would be very expensive, but the advice given here is given for free by enthusiasts. All we can ask is that people do not abuse that willingness and are prepared to contribute to our community by involvement, rather than trying to use our knowledge as a search engine.

Happy hunting - the chase is a major part of the ownership experience.

4. jsinghdreams Jul 18, 2015

Duly noted.

Thanks for the prompt replies stewart and fritz!

@stewart: does your comment regarding finding quartz parts also apply to the megaquartz and electroquartz watches?

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 18, 2015

you can always depend on this forum for prompt, honest and sometimes slightly hard to hear replies.

I'm here to be an abusive smartass.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 18, 2015

I'm afraid it does. I have a Breitling that used the Piaget Megaquartz and some of those parts are unavailable - such is the nature of electronics.

Although these use very little battery power, if the battery leaks, you are screwed/ Mine got through 2 batteries in 15 years and I serviced it and replaced the battery last year, before it ran out.

Edited Jul 18, 2015
  7. jsinghdreams Jul 18, 2015

Darn I really loved the dial on this. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 18, 2015

You can probably find a similar dial on a mechanical. Most likely...for sure

jsinghdreams likes this.
  9. jsinghdreams Jul 18, 2015

Yeah :/

Any idea how one would describe this dial?

How would one go about locating a mechanical watch with this dial? I've asked for a reference number.

Edited Jul 18, 2015
  10. chickenman26 Jul 18, 2015

[/QUOTE]

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 19, 2015

Tic tic tic....
    definitely go for a mechanical constellation

If you like the later more modern style as per the watch you posted -there are mechanical Constellations that look like that

They would be a dome dial rather than a flat dial -but they do come with that style (nicer) hands
    The case ref would be something like 168.010 or .014 or for a hidden crown 168.004
    starting with cal 561 or with the 'modern' hands mid 60's-on Cal 564 -you can also get a later 60s/early 70s 751 version with day/date

couple of links to past posts

https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-on-constellations-please.27124/#post-302852

my Connie -dog-leg case and Dauphine hands -but also with a lovely late round-cased version with baton hands posted by @Sgt-Bilko

https://omegaforums.net/threads/very-proud-new-owner-of-my-first-omega.22494/#post-245268

enjoy the hunt!

jsinghdreams likes this.
  12. lillatroll Jul 19, 2015

I know many people on here don't have much time for quartz watches but I while they are expensive to repair you can pick up a donar watch for next to nothing
    I have a megaquartz and it is one of my favourite watches. If you are looking then try to buy mint condition because they are still very cheap, maybe 25% more than in average condition.

jsinghdreams likes this.
  13. SeanO Jul 20, 2015

I think you'll find one of the ultrathin Connies would probably meet your need.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 20, 2015

A Connor with a similar case but different style dial
    image.jpg
    And a seamaster with similar dial image.jpg image.jpg
    Search this forum for "sparkly" and you will get lots of hits

image.jpg
    jsinghdreams likes this.
  15. dfkafka Jul 20, 2015

I might be in the minority but I love the f300hz. I know these can be expensive to fix but something about the sweeping second hand and hum has me hooked.

Here is my constellation.

[​IMG]