Forums Latest Members
  1. FrPaul69 Sep 5, 2016

Hi everyone,

Im looking to buy my very first omega and this forum has been helping me tons (huge thanks!). I saw this seamaster vintage, cal.610 on eBay and would like your thoughts on it, i find it really beautiful and it looks relatively genuine to my untrained eye ( i note there is no "antimagnetic" across :D)

However the seller hasn't posted any pictures of the movement and description says everything (dial, crown, movement) is original.

Would really appreciate any feedback/comments if something looks odd on the dial or case from these pictures

Thank you!!

20160906_081846.png 20160906_081827.png 20160906_081752.png 20160906_081730.png

2. Edward53 Sep 5, 2016

This movement is not easy for inexperienced people (such as myself) to remove as it comes out of the front of the case, so the absence of a movement photo is not necessarily a red flag. There's nothing obviously wrong and the dial looks ok to me, though the photos aren't as sharp as one would like. Probably taken in low light with a not terribly good camera. Overall I quite like it.

EDITED TO ADD: I've just looked at the blowup of the first photo and the "Swiss Made" at the bottom looks a bit clumsy. Hmm....

FrPaul69 likes this.
  3. fjf Sep 5, 2016

Yes, and the minute markers look painted on the sides. I think it is a redial.

FrPaul69 likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 5, 2016

Hi Fr Paul and welcome to the forum!
    I hope the Fr is short for Father, but we are happy to have you even if it is short for Francis.

That is quite a beautiful watch and I am curious as to your intentions.
    If you want a nice vintage-style watch to wear, find out the service history. If no luck, assume the worst and figure in a hundred or two for a good service.

If you are looking for a collectible, I am concerned that the dial has been repainted ("SWISS MADE" should be closer together and centered overall, not by word), the minute markers have issues (off-centered and close to the bezel at 6, much more distant at 12) .

If you are looking for a nice daily driver, get a verifiable service history, see the movement or anticipate the worst.
    If you are looking for a collectible, this one seems to have issues in my humble opinion (imho).

Attached cal. 610 photo shows the traditional swiss made, the issue I speak of.

Again, welcome!

sam_4437_1.jpg

Edited Sep 5, 2016
  5. WatchWarlock Sep 5, 2016

Yups. Minute markers and swiss made look off. Shame, because the Omega and Seamaster look okay. Must have been a sloppy clean-up job that resulted in damaging the markers.

6. FrPaul69 Sep 5, 2016

You guys are FANTASTIC!
    thank you so much for your help and very useful information. I managed to get it for reasonably cheap (vs others), which is certsinly due to more experienced buyers not bidding on this one but im sure ill be a happy with it as my first omega to wear.

This is the beginning of a hobby ive been looking to get into (still a young professional earning its way up :p). I wanted to get one not only to own my very first omega but also be able to learn and explore without shedding a few k's in my first buy.

Thank you again and will look to meet you again on the forum

PS: UncleBuck: Fr stands for French and 69 is my zipcode when i was living in france, im not v creative with usernames, its just surprising how many Pauls there are out there on forums haha. Congrats on being an terrific uncle ;)