Forums Latest Members
  1. Alfred S. Jun 22, 2018

2. ext1 Jun 22, 2018

Here's a newbie having a go-

The things that pop out at me are, the alpha minute hands and the movement. I'm not sure about the minute hands, can't tell if they are curved at the end or not. I'm probably wrong about this bit.

But the movement- the symmetrical clutch bridge is a different color than the rest of the movement and the rest of the movement isn't exactly clean either. You might wanna get a huge service even if you got this. I got burned like that with my 2998-5.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 22, 2018

Alfred
    Welcome.You are right to ask on a piece like this.
    May I suggest you will get a lot more interest in the thread if you reproduce or link the pictures directly?
    [​IMG]

I did this by right-clicking on the image in the website, then here clicking on the insert URL button.

The easier you make it for us the more you will get. Most people will not click on the link

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 22, 2018

I believe if you observe the light reflections, I believe it's safe to say that the minute hand is curved, indeed.

On my end, the only thing that appears "wrong" or not original to the watch is the later version of the crown. It's looks to be a rather nice example, IMO. The price is also inline with the market for those I believe, and the bracelet looks not bad, either. :thumbsup:

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 22, 2018

Looks nice from the pics. If you can, I'd want to know more about the bracelet as the clasp looks like a 1036, or at least not 7912. There's also a good chance this one is radium, so a Geiger reading would be iintetesting. Price seems about right given that the bracelet is included . Be sure to check the end links.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 22, 2018

Very cludgy website...Looks OK at a glance.

7. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 22, 2018

Meertz is one of those volume-rather-than-quality dealers, no doubts on that. But sometimes they also happen to have really good stuff in that sea of *beeeeeep* :D

8. Reborn Jun 24, 2018

One thing that puzzles me abt the 2998s is that prices appear to vary quite a bit...

9. ndgal Jun 24, 2018

Looks like a nice example.

If you look closely at the pictures, you will notice a few things:

• End links are 516 (which means they were trimmed to 19mm)
    • Bracelet looks like a 1035 (looks like clasp is dated 4/71)
    • Service crown.
    • Subdial hands have been repainted. (If you pay attention to the closeup pictures, you’ll notice what they looked like “before”. Aged and discolored vs. the full frontal image where they are now Snow White with no missing paint around the posts). The minute counter subdial hand is not correct, has a less pointy tip.
    • Chrono hand has also been repainted (You can see the teardrop tail of it in one of the close up pictures where it looks Greyish-patina, vs. the frontal image where it is Snow White. It also looks a tad short to me. I would like to see it reach the end of the minute track.

That said, I think this piece is reasonably priced (If no other issues).

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 24, 2018
  10. Alfred S. Jun 28, 2018

Thx will do in the future.