Forums Latest Members
  1. asongbip Dec 7, 2018

Hello Omegaforums! I am going to purchase my very first Omega. I've decided on the 311.30 on Hesalite moonwatch on bracelet. It's a beautiful watch that looks amazing with the bracelet and straps so I had to have it when I tried it on wrist.

Here's my dilemma currently.. I have two choices, $3000ish for a 2017 pre owned full set in mint condition with 1 year warranty remaining OR a brand new 2018 5 year warranty (all watches are 5 year warranty after 7/1/2018) that will run me $3700ish.

Basically, is the extra $700 worth the 4 more years of warranty and a brand new watch? I'm used to Rolex's where every warranty is 5 years and I would save the $700 on a mint pre-owned but this case is a bit different so I would like to hear your guy's opinions.

Do moonwatch's need servicing frequently? What exactly does Omega's warranty even cover? Thanks for all the help!

2. dan7800 Dec 7, 2018

Congrats on the good decision of a Speedie.

They should be serviced every 5-7 years.

I might be wrong, but is a used Speedie retroactively covered by the warranty? Also, does the 2017 come with box and papers? They are worth quite a bit by themselves.

I have no connection to the seller, but I'd strongly consider this one https://omegaforums.net/threads/fso...ch-hesalite-311-30-42-30-01-005-unworn.85957/

Very trusted seller, and complete box and papers.

Considering a service is likely around 500-700 range, if you're saving this money then even if something does go wrong out of service, you wouldn't be any further behind.

3. MCC Dec 7, 2018

Difficult to answer because it depends whether you can haggle the price down on either watch and how easily you can absorb the extra $700.

Personally if the watches are both mint condition I would buy pre owned and use the $700 for something else.

Then again I am from Yorkshire and we are known for being careful with our money ;)

4. gbesq Dec 7, 2018

Speedies are generally very reliable. Mine is 42 years old and still runs fine. I’ve had it serviced every 5-7 years or so. Omega service will generally run you $500-$800 after the watch is out of warranty.

5. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 7, 2018

Personally, I'd go for the brand new. As @dan7800 says, a service will cost the difference anyway, and besides if you took it back to Omega within that warranty you'd get that service for free.

6. asongbip Dec 7, 2018

I would, but that one is from Jomashop therefore voided from Omega warranty thus the lower brand new ticket. And yes the pre-owned one is a complete set so all box and papers and accessories.

7. asongbip Dec 7, 2018

Both prices are at the absolute lowest! Haggling has been done for both already haha

8. asongbip Dec 7, 2018

Yeah, can't go wrong with brand new. My only gripe is will I need a service in the 5 years? Technically I would need two services to make it worth buying the brand new.

9. asongbip Dec 7, 2018

Hmm that makes me feel alright on the pre-owned then...

10. kelev_ra Dec 7, 2018

I'd take the 2017. Normally you won't have any issues with that watch the first 5-10 years... If the used one is really mint to my it would be a no-brainer and I would purchase this one. If the used one has any issues (dents, deep scratches) I would buy the new one.

PS: good choice!

11. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 7, 2018

Take it back after 4 years and 364 days, it would still be covered under warranty. You wouldn't get that with the 2017; you'd end up paying for it. And if it were to need anything doing within that 5yrs, it's covered.

12. kelev_ra Dec 7, 2018

Omega tells you to get it maintaned every 5 years or so - but: I got 20 year old watches that have never been to a service and are running great.
    My advice from my trusted watchmaker: as long as it keeps great time - keep it on the wrist.
    As soon as you got any issues take it to service.
    I don't care if omega/rolex/... tell me to get that done every ....years. That's ridiculous in my opinion (other than with a car: what can happen if it doesn't get serviced every .... years? It can't kill me :)).

13. gbesq Dec 7, 2018

The watch from Joma is new, correct? If I recall correctly, their price for a new Speedy with the hesalite crystal is about $3,400-$3,500 last time I looked. You won’t get the Omega warranty, but you will get everything else including the storage box and all the accessories. And by the time a new Speedy would need service, it would be out of warranty anyway.

14. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 7, 2018

If you don't keep a car serviced, it'll seize up and die on you, costing more to repair than it's worth.

15. dan7800 Dec 7, 2018

See the 5000 threads on this topic

lando and madjestikmoose like this.
  16. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 7, 2018

Related to some of the comments here, it's important to point out that the 5 year warranty is a warranty against manufacturer-caused defects, and not a service contract. So, if your watch with a 5 year warranty is running within normal parameters, but you want to get it serviced before the 5 years is up, you will still pay full price for the service.

17. absoluteczech Dec 7, 2018

If you're going to get a new one do not get it from jomashop, rather get it from a reseller like the one posted. Your jomashop (grey market ) will not have the omega 5 year warranty. For the same price you can get it from a reseller with all the paper work/ AD stamped cards, etc. Joma will offer their own "in house" warranty but that is not the same as official omega warranty.

dan7800 likes this.
  18. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Dec 7, 2018

I was told the opposite by a local AD... if I turned up with it and just claimed it wasn't keeping time then they'd send it away for a service, no questions asked. To be fair though, that was a while ago now, and this particular branch is no longer an Omega AD...

19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Dec 7, 2018

That's different - if it's not keeping time, it's not running within normal parameters (I think normal now is something like gaining no more than 5 or 6 seconds per day). What I don't know is, if you claimed it but it wasn't the truth, would Omega test before they got to work on it and deny warranty coverage?

madjestikmoose likes this.
  20. absoluteczech Dec 7, 2018

That's not a service. That's a warranty repair. If you just walked in 4 years and 11 months and said, there's nothing wrong with my watch I just want a "service" aka tune up it would not be done for free. If someone is wrong or broken within those 5 years it will be fixed/replaced