Forums Latest Members

Need Advice for a Vintage Omega (New to Omega & forum)

1. dwb527 May 1, 2015

View attachment 123235 View attachment 123236

Greetings,
    I've decided to finally grow up and ditch the "Timex Ironman" as my daily watch. After a month of research I've decided to go with a vintage Omega. I just want to some expert opinions on a watch I found
    I have a trusted jeweler here in San Antonio but he isn't really a vintage watch guy. So, I know he isn't trying to rip me off but I also don't think he knows the history of this watch. Here is what I know: The watch looks in nice condition (see pics). The dial does not appear to be refinished. The case, movement, and crystal are signed. The movement # is 31168364 and it is a 563 movement (See pic). The Movement # sheet for "31,000,000" on omega-fanatic.com says that is from 1969. The case number says KM6610 & 589593. I searched the Omegawatches.com database with "6610" and it gave the following information: US Collection Seamaster DeVille, Reference KL6610, international Collection(1963-1967), Caliber 560, Date function, 14K gold, unishell. So, my questions:
    1. I'm a bit confused that the omegawatches.com site shows only KM6610 and not KL6610 (as on the watch) when I do a querry. Also, the movement is 563 but the omega database shows 560 for the 6610 reference. Anyway, does this appear to be the original case?
    2. He wants $1350 but I think I can walk out at $1200. Any thoughts on the price?
    3. IF I buy the watch, will buffing the crystal and case hurt the value?

Thanks for any input.

20150501_113717.jpg
    20150501_113724.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    IMG_6650.jpg

2. dwb527 May 1, 2015

Also, it is in fact 14K solid gold and he will send it to be serviced and have a 2 year warranty.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 1, 2015

Sorry, not a good watch.

The dial has been refinished and the case has been heavily polished.

In this condition not worth even half his asking price. You should be able to get a much better 14K one with original dial and seamonster back for that kind of money.

Here is an original dial for reference.

IMG_2707.JPG

4. j.allen May 1, 2015

I hate to speculate on something that I am not 100% sure about but...
    1. Keep in mind that the omega database is not complete. I have seen plenty of examples of this movement matched with this case. Just because you don't see it listed does not mean that it is genuine.
    2. Most forum sites frown upon members appraising other people's watches for many reasons. Keep in mind you will pay a lot more in a jeweler/retail environment vs a private seller. With that said what he is asking seems like a lot to me. When watches are in a condition of 9/10 and 10/10 the price can increase dramatically. Not that this is in poor condition, just not great. Unfortunately gold does not wear well.
    3. The crystal can be polished, but if you are buying it you may as well just replace it as they are inexpensive generally. The jeweler should do this for you for nothing I think if you are purchasing. You can gently buff the case with a microfiber cloth, but I would probably not polish it. With that said if you do very GENTLY polish it it will remove some of the micro scratches and dirt and return some of the luster.

You should look around and see what the watch is selling for, not what some jeweler is asking for it. I can't tell you what it is worth, but I probably would not pay more than $700 for it, but I am far from an expert. (the KL 6610 listed says there were only 3000 pieces produced)!

5. j.allen May 1, 2015

Ahhh, there you go. There is an example of a much better dial. I don't know if this entire dial has been refinished or not. It's hard to see through the worn crystal. Often the logo and lettering fades and somebody kind of re-paints it in. At the very least that has been done here.

If your budget is $1000 or more you have many, choices to buy from. You will find the best deal online, but if you are new to this you may want someone more experienced to help you, or buy from a retail environment, and well again with help so somebody does not take advantage of you. The advantage of buying from a jeweler/dealer is that there is usually a guarantee.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 1, 2015

That's one of the things this forum is all about, keeping newbies from making mistakes.

Look here fro trusted sellers:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

7. dwb527 May 1, 2015

Thank you for the input, guys. I didn't think it was refinished but I'm no expert and after looking at the example dial you posted I can clearly see that the luminous paint is very crisp in the example but is a bit sloppy on the watch he is selling. Thanks for the heads up on the price to both of you as well...I guess I'll keep looking.

8. dwb527 May 1, 2015

That helps a lot. I'll check the link you provided. I found several on ebay but I'm hesitant since this is my first Omega.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 1, 2015

It's more about the print quality and shape of the lettering on the dial than anything else.

You are welcome to post things from eBay for members here to vet, again that's what we're here for.

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 1, 2015

One other thing. Luminous paint on the dial and not on the hands? - about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.