Forums Latest Members
  1. ghtl2014 Feb 22, 2014

Hello Forum Members,

My husband is a simple man who has always put his family first before himself. He is turning 40 this year and since he's a sentimental kind of guy I thought it would really be great to get him a watch from his birth year as a special gift. I'm open to any brand but am leaning more towards Omega, and because of it's simplicity and relative affordability, the Geneve model. But since I am a total newbie to vintage watch buying, I'd greatly appreciate your advice on the following:
    - What is the best way to determine a watch's authenticity? If the serial/case number provided in the watch description doesn't come up when I put it into the Omega database, should I pass on it?
    - What's a reasonable amount to pay for an authentic, good quality watch? I really have my heart set on getting a watch from 1974 but I don't want to spend foolishly. The price/quality ratio is important for me rather than just price alone. I have a limited budget but would consider stretching it to get the real deal rather than get something for a bargain and find out later I've been had or have simply overpaid because I didn't do my research.
    - I'm not necessarily looking for a collector- or investment-level watch so what features are most important and what can I compromise on (for ex. repainted dial)? I'd like to avoid the so-called frankenwatches, but are these really an absolute no-no even for non-collectors?
    - Since this is a one-time purchase (I hope! I've only been browsing a few days and I can understand while it could get addicting), I would also consider a different model/style and would appreciate suggestions.

I'm eagerly looking forward to your responses. Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. Would it be ok to post the same query in other forums?

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 22, 2014

Firstly, congrats on the sentiment behind your search for a Birth Year watch.

Your questions are very open-ended and not easily answered. However, here's a couple of responses:

Q1. This often takes collectors some years to build expertise. Re the database, you need to put an extra zero behind the first lot of numbers. E.g. if the case number says, say, 166.145, it needs to be shown on the database search as 166.0145.

Q2. This is almost like asking, what is the length of a piece of string :) I think you have to decide what your budget is first and work from there. As a yardstick, expect to pay 1000 - 1200 USD for a 166.079 (cal 752) or 166.145 (cal 565) Geneve Dynamic in top condition, remembering that there are plenty of also-rans that come cheaper but the better quality pieces don't come cheap and are harder to find.

Q3 It is better to go for quality. This is not only for reasons of collectibility but also for reasons of reliability and robustness. The fewer signs of age on a watch (including the movement) the more reliable it may well be. Refinished dials are fine for your purposes, but, still, ity would be a good idea to get a good refinished job than a poor one.

Check this essay here for a survey of Dynamic models, and good luck with your search.

Cheers

Desmond

3. ulackfocus Feb 22, 2014

You can still insert the * instead of the extra zero. That way if there is or isn't a zero the database will still return a hit on those numbers. For instance, on the inside of the caseback of a pie pan Constellation from the 60's with a 56x date caliber is 168.005, yet the database shows it as 168.0005 so that exact Constellation won't show up - just a bunch of 168.005x models show:

168.005search.png

However, if you punch in 168.*005 you'll get the exact references you want mixed in with the others from above:

168.*005search.png

Were the caliber 752 and 565 still made in 1974? I thought they were gone after 1972. I know they were introduced in 1967, but nowhere can I find the year production was stopped on them. Any help Desmond?

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 22, 2014

Can we ask your rough budget? That will help us guide you.
    Also, feel free to post elsewhere. But I am sure you will get the best advice here :cool:

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 22, 2014

ULF last cal 752 was in 74 however the cal 565 was produced until 79

Cheers
    D

ulackfocus likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Feb 22, 2014

Thanks Desmond!

7. ghtl2014 Feb 23, 2014

Hello again and thanks for the replies!

Desmond, I agree my questions are a bit vague. I'm the kind of person who takes a long time just deciding which toothpaste to buy so imagine how overwhelmed I am right now ; ) The looming deadline is also adding to my anxiety, how I wish I'd thought of this much earlier!

To answer CanberraOmega, I was hoping to spend ~1000 USD, so I'm glad that at I'm at least in the right ballpark.

Right now I'm mostly looking on eBay; any suggestions for other places/sellers where I might find what I'm looking for?

Cheers!

8. ghtl2014 Feb 23, 2014

Btw, thanks to Desmond and ulackfocus (Dennis?) for the tip on ref #s. I remember a posting in which an 8 digit serial number was provided and nothing showed up when I checked the database - is this a red flag?

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 23, 2014

Ebay is the proverbial hay stack:
    - needles
    - hay
    - mouldy hay where it has rained
    - rats

The trick is to avoid the last two. What we would say is "buy the seller". Sellers like Quality Vintage Time or Omega Addict generally don't have rats or mould (nor do they have needles). And you are going to overpay there.

We are always happy to vet potential purchases here.

10. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 23, 2014

This onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network could be promising but larger pics would be needed to assess case finish and dial. Ignore the claim of original tag.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 23, 2014

Looks good.

12. fjf Feb 23, 2014

13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 23, 2014

What a thoughtful gift!

The best advice I can give you is to post pictures of anything you're interested in here for review before you buy. ;)

There are many many reasonably-priced Omega (and other brands) available for consideration. You didn't mention your budget, but if you're willing to, that would be helpful in pointing you to some ideas.

Also, what "style" does your husband prefer? Are you looking for something that is more of a dress watch, something sporty, or something in between?

Good luck with the hunt! :thumbsup:

14. Mathlar Feb 23, 2014

Later today (or worst case tomorrow) I'm going to list a 1974 Geneve Dynamic on the sales forum here. It's serviced, with over a year's warranty on the service remaining (so it should be good for another 5-10 years) - at the very least it should give you something to compare the ebay examples against.

15. ulackfocus Feb 23, 2014

Bingo. :thumbsup: Let us help you score a keeper for your husband.

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 23, 2014

You might consider a self-winding chronograph made by the Zenith-Movado corporation. These were the most technologically advanced mechanical wrist watches made in and around 1974, and they're fairly large for the period, so they don't look unfashionable today. Zenith-branded models are called "El Primero," and Movado-branded models are sometimes called "El Primero" and sometimes called "Datron" or "Datachron" or HS 360. Some of these watches are more "70's" than others, but there are models to suit most tastes... and they've got multiple dials and the extra gadgetry of a stopwatch built in... and what man doesn't love gadgetry? Decent examples of Movado Datrons can be had for $1200-$1500. Zeniths will run higher... sometimes quite a bit higher, depending on the model.

Here's a thread on my favorite watch from 1974 - one of the more distinctly 70s-looking models - the Movado Astronic, a self-winding chronograph with day, date, month and moonphase. These pop up on eBay in the $3-4k range... hard to beat them for value.

[​IMG]

http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/Movado-Astronic?.3270/

nxw1969 and TexasKevin like this.
  17. timeismoney Feb 23, 2014

This thread is one of the reasons I love this forum.

ron n likes this.
  18. Nova1978 Feb 23, 2014

Eventhough I just bought a cheaply Geneve as my first Omega but I will be in the market in a couple months. But I will not buy anywhere else beside here.
    Don't waste your time elsewhere especially WUS or ebay...lesson learned

Habitant likes this.
  19. ghtl2014 Feb 23, 2014

Ok here's one, not really my preferred style but the only 1974 i could find. There are only a couple of hours left though - what do you think?

Many thanks!!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291080949415?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

20. ghtl2014 Feb 23, 2014

Btw, Mathlar looking forward to your listing!