Forums Latest Members

Need advice about my Speedmaster 57 (9300) watch's issue

1. longnguyen Sep 8, 2016

I purchased my watch 3 months ago. After 29 days from the purchased date, it stopped working so I brought it over to the service center. They spent 3.5 weeks to fix it so I asked the gentlemen what was wrong with my watch, he said that he didn't know the root cause, they just simply did a full service and it worked again. Since then, every two or three weeks, the time will be off a few hours so I have a lot of questions right now.
    1. Is it because of my habit? I wear it from 10am - 7pm (there's a catch, I don't move my wrist that much) and then put it in a watch winder (it's a $100 watch winder I bought from Amazon).
    2. How do I know if the power reserve in my watch is in fact 60 hours? Should I test it by putting in it the watch winder for a couple of days straight with the expectation that I will have a "full tank" after that?
    3. Should I buy a really good watch winder ($500+) to replace the one I bought from Amazon?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 8, 2016

Some questions first.

What setting is your wonder set at? Different movements have different requirements from turns per day TPD and direct clockwise, counter clockwise and both.

2nd to check your power reserve manually wind your watch as per the directions. I think on your watch it is the crown in the first position against the case and twist toward to top of the watch until it makes a sound or is hard to wind. You can check your manual for specifics on it. Once you fully wind your watch I think you have a 60 hour time reserve so check your accuracy after 48 hours. And it should stop around 60 hours later.

3. longnguyen Sep 8, 2016

Thank you, Foo2rama!
    I just took a look at the Operating Instructions, page 27, and I can't find anything about the required turn per day for 9300.
    On a different note, I've followed your instruction to manually wind my watch until it made a little sound. Let's see if my watch can really survive 60 hours or not (keep my fingers crossed) :).

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 8, 2016

800 both directions is what Omega states for a minimum.

5. longnguyen Sep 9, 2016

Thank you, Foo2rama!
    Now I have a different question. Should the second hand be exactly between the 2 dots? I've noticed it for a while now but I'm not sure if this happened after the full service with Omega or it's by default.

Omega.jpg
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 9, 2016

Hmm looks like the Chrono second is misaligned.

Perhaps @Archer can comment if that is an issue with the movement or reassembled slightly off?

Date wheel also looks slightly off.

Edited Sep 9, 2016
  7. longnguyen Sep 9, 2016

Hello Foo2rama, the date wheel is off a bit because it was moving to 9 (I think).

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2016

Likely just the hand not set on exactly right...

9. longnguyen Sep 9, 2016

Thank you, Archer!
    Do you know if the Omega service center will fix it for free? Will it take them another 3.5 weeks for this?

Prieto9000 likes this.
  10. longnguyen Sep 15, 2016

@Archer I took my watch to Tourbillon Seattle to adjust the chrono second hand last Friday. They said it would take a few days; however, I called them up this afternoon and they said that they would do a full service which means 6 - 8 weeks.
    Should I complain to Omega about the watch quality given that I just bought this watch brand new 3 months ago and this is my second full service (the first one took 3.5 weeks)?

11. Perseus Sep 16, 2016

A lot of people on the internet love to rant. What I would do is contact the AD and Omega separately and express your concern and frustration, but don't be a cry baby and don't demand anything. I wouldn't even bring up the money. Tell a story about why you bought this watch and then something along the lines of you thought you were buying a high quality watch but after two full services in three months you're beginning to question what you have. Close with asking if their anything they can do to restore your confidence. I'm sure they can send you some Omega goodies or add an extra year to the warranty, but if you go in guns blazing I imagine they'll do the minimum they can to make you go away.

Foo2rama and longnguyen like this.
  12. longnguyen Sep 17, 2016

Thank you for your great advice, Perseus!

13. longnguyen Oct 9, 2016

I just got my watch back after a full service (the 3rd time in less than 4 months) and my watch didn't seem to keep the time correctly again so I need your help to answer a few dumb questions that I have.
    Context: right after I got it from Tourbillon Seattle, the manager there winded the watch for me and I then wore it for the next 10 hours till 11pmish. After that, I put it in a watch winder and went to sleep for 8 hours. The next morning I woke up at ~8am and realized the watch stopped at ~4 am.
    1. Did this prove that my watch winder just not work even though I saw it rotating the watch?

After this incident, I lost my trust in the watch winder so I then adjusted the time again and manually winded it and then I wore it for the whole day from 8am till 11.30pm or so. Woke up the next morning and realized that the time is off by more than 4 hours even though the second hand was still running.

2. Is there any obvious problem with my watch or I don't know how to wind my watch manually?

I read the spec from Omega and it said the 9300 movement would need 720 turns per day so I winded my watch's crown 72 full circles with the assumption that one full circle == 10 turns. Is that a correct assumption or I really should have winded the crown 720 times (full circles), I found that 72 times already took me ~ 7 minutes and I just thought spending 10 times of that would be insane hence my assumption popped up in my head :D?

14. Cosd Oct 10, 2016

I'm no seasoned watch expert, but why do you put your watch in a watch winder over night when it has a 60hr power reserve?
    I take my watch off on a Friday night and sometimes don't put it on until Monday morning and it doesn't need adjusting!

You also state that "you don't move your wrist much", I'm struggling to guess what job you can possibly have where your watch doesn't get wound!

Unless you take your watch off for "around" 60hrs+, don't use the winder and don't manually wind it. Keep an eye on the time keeping, and if it is still loses time like you have stated, then I would be going back and asking for a replacement. In my opinion, having to return the watch 4 times in as many months is unacceptable.

Fordex likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2016

Keep taking it back untill you dont need to add to this thread anymore unless its a all good now. Know it sucks but be persistent withthem untill its fixed

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 10, 2016

720 is the setting for the winder. It's 720 c/cw I believe.

Winding it should be top of the crown away from you.

17. Fordex Oct 10, 2016

I wear my watch 10 hours a day and it's only gaining 2.3 seconds a day. I do not put it on a winder at night and lay it gently on its crown side down when I'm not wearing it! Skip the winder and see what happens!

18. longnguyen Oct 10, 2016

Thank you all for your comments and advice!
    My watch has completely stopped now so I'll adjust the time tomorrow morning then wind it and wear it to work. My expectation is that on Tuesday morning, it still works with a correct time.
    @Cosd: I'm a software engineer :D.

19. Kobus Oct 10, 2016

Surely there is a problem with the watch!

20. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. Oct 11, 2016

The AD fully wound it and it stopped running less then 16 hours later, after wearing it for 10 hours??? If the AD did fully wind it, there is something wrong with your watch. I would take it back.