Forums Latest Members
  1. repoman Jan 26, 2016

Yet another "need a beater" thread. I have a Hamilton Khaki automatic that I wear when I'm out shooting, or working in the garage, its a watch I don't mind beating up. But now I'm looking for a sports watch, something I will wear mountain biking, hiking, camping, hunting. I need something oriented towards the outdoors. Here's some criteria I've been keeping in mind while browsing:

- Analog hands (it can also have digital displays but main timekeeping I want an hour and minute hand). This is a must have.
    - Sub 46mm, I don't want some monstrosity, this is going to be for mountain biking, hiking, hunting. This is a must have. I'm confused as a couple of the watches I've looked at are the same size as my Speedy Pro (42mm) when holding them together, yet the watches are listed as 50+mm. ?? Bottom line, anything around a real 42-44mm watch is great
    - Sub $400. This is a must have.
    - I like all the modern functions: compass, altimeter, temperature, more the better. These are nice to have.
    - GPS/radio to set time is cool, this is nice to have
    - Rubber strap, or something suitable for being punished

I've look at the Casio's. Not a big fan of G-shocks although they seem to have the features I'm looking for, but nothing in the Casio lineup is really jumping out at me. I need some new ideas and directions here.

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 26, 2016

Here you go...

Best of all, you can buy several for the price of a run-of-the-mill Gshock or Cascio.

image.jpeg

No thanks expected.:p

3. tyrantlizardrex Jan 26, 2016

OSP, Nitzbar and Darlinboy like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 26, 2016

It's a Casio, but has some cool features. I'll sell you mine for a good price as I don't use it at all...

Casio Gulfman.jpg

;)

Drawarms likes this.
  5. KCScott Jan 26, 2016

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Drawarms Jan 26, 2016

I would deff go seiko! I just picked up the same watch for a beater! before that I had a seiko monster which I loved!

My cousin has the new turtle for $350 at his store if you have interest also, PM me.

7. KCScott Jan 26, 2016

I read the op and see that he requires more gadgets so the Seiko might not be the way to go. I'm looking forward to getting mine though!

8. yinzerniner Jan 26, 2016

Like @oddboy's piece I think some of the Casio G-Steel pieces are pretty nice, and attractively priced for a high-functioning sport watch. However, with your size limitations an Analog-Digital watch is probably not possible for the simple reason that the dial doesn't have enough room to fit all the gadgets, screens and subdials.
    The only one I could find is this, but I'm not a big fan of it's aesthetics. Probably could be had for $400 on secondary market.
    Also, a good place to check out some cool JDM watches is watch takuya on youtube. Seems like a ton of analog/digital watches from the larger Japanese houses don't make it to our shores so it's tough to judge their looks and overall presence, but the nicely-shot videos are as good as you can get in case you'd like to go the import route.

oddboy likes this.
  9. Mark1969 Jan 26, 2016

10. Mark1969 Jan 26, 2016

How about a Certina ds first auto 200m water resistant tough as it has ds anti shock a bit classic and well priced

STANDY likes this.
  11. repoman Jan 26, 2016

Good ideas so far guys... I'm looking at everything suggested so far... I know I will have to be flexible on my criteria, and the analog hands may have to go if I want all the functions. Please keep suggestions coming.

12. Mark1969 Jan 26, 2016

Hey my reply may have gone haywire I am new to the forum so apologies.
    How about a Certina ds first auto it's a classic sports watch design and tough and durable with 200m wr. Got an eta engine and swatch do no issues with repairs and also rare in the uk

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2016

Or go full on Certina DS-3 , automatic.

All that other stuff is on your phone....

Mark1969 likes this.
  14. nightowl Jan 26, 2016

Holy crap that is beautiful! No wait, not beautiful - what's that other word? :eek:

15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 26, 2016

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 26, 2016

I just got this and it works. Atomic time setting, 200 M alarm, timer world time GMT, rubber band, and under not 400, but 200. So it kinda Checks all your boxes

image.jpg
    Drawarms likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 26, 2016

Oh never mind, just saw the analog hands thing. But they do have them as posted above. In more and less simple formats

18. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jan 26, 2016

In my experience (i.e., several Casios and the like) more gadgets = more breakable. Nothing more annoying than when one of those plastic digital watches suddenly dies (though they are useful, light and cheap). This has been my beater for nearly 14 years. No service, no batteries (obviously) only a couple of new bands.
    20160123_161946.jpg

Foo2rama, KCScott and Fritz like this.
  19. repoman Jan 26, 2016

If I give up on analog hands, I can get everything else on my hit list. Not sure if I'm willing to go there yet.

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 26, 2016

I know they Casio G shock store had several analog/digital hybrids. Worth checking it out