Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

So I received a vintage manual wind Omega yesterday, and the owner has indicated it originally had a black dial, but was redialed decades ago in another country. The redial is not great to say the least...

[​IMG]

The watch came in a SS case, with 2996 1 SC inside the case back. Movement is a Cal. 285.

Looking at the Omega Extranet using this case reference, only 2 dials come up and they are black dials with a military style, and of course are no longer available...here is one example:

[​IMG]

The other one has a broad arrow on it, but looks the same as this one does.

I'm going to email the client to see if anyone recalls exactly what the black dial looked like, as he wants to have it redialed again, with a better job. He has not yet decided if he wants to go back to the black dial, but if I can find out what this might have looked like, I might be able to convince him to make it "right" again.

Oh, and in the country the work was done in, the dial refinish is not the only shoddy work...hey if you have lost the dial feet screws and the dial won't stay on, what do you do? Well you glue it on of course!

[​IMG]

Oy! :mad:

Anyway, looking for input on what the "correct" dial for this one would look like thanks.

Cheers, Al

Etp095 and Jwit like this.
  2. John R Smith Jan 12, 2014

According to the Omega Vintage Database, this case ref 2996 should be a Ranchero. This certainly could have had a black dial, but totally different hands. You would also expect a 2996-1 to have a cal 284, not a 285.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2014

Interesting, ref 2996 is typically for a Ranchero, although I believe it was also used for some Seamasters.

Your dial with raised and not applied figures looks appropriate for a Seamaster of this ref.

Here are two versions from AJTT. I'm not to convinced that the second example is original.

IMG_5132.JPG

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

The owner swears it was not a Ranchero, but a Seamaster, so thanks as it does look like there were Seamasters of this type in that era. If anyone has a shot of what a Seamaster dial would look like for one of these, that would be helpful.

Owner also says that for the country they were in some "special" watches may have been made for that market only.

Cheers, Al

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 12, 2014

Hi Al,
    The 2996 did come in a Seamster version without the Ranchero on the dial. This version is much less common than the Ranchero but over the years I have seen a number for sale. Here is link to one that recently sold on another forum.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60073&highlight=janice

The dial is white and according to the seller original:

[​IMG]

Etp095 likes this.
  6. John R Smith Jan 12, 2014

There is a 2996-1 Seamaster for sale at the moment on the BayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. This dial has batons and no numbers. Note also that it has a cal 284, as I suggested, not a 285.

7. mac_omega Jan 12, 2014

Hi Al,

I have got an original one with an original aged dial.

Only the second hand is a wrong replacement by sure -
    (BTW have you got any idea, which one could match the broad arrow hands - a simple straight SS hand?)

It has a Cal. 284 inside - I think also a 285 could be legit...

2996_SM.jpg

2996_back.jpg

I am very much in doubt if the dial of your customer is original to this reference - is he the first owner or has he bought it second hand?
    Maybe he has already bought the watch with the incorrect dial!?

regards

Erich

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 12, 2014

Wow... looks great! If you ever consider moving this, please let me know...:thumbsup:

9. mac_omega Jan 12, 2014

Hey Joe! (no pun intended...although I like Jimmy very much)

I will put you on my list for this ;)
    But I should better install a correct second hand for it before I ever part with it...

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 12, 2014

My favorite song to play on guitar (I wonder why :) ). I even wanted it as my wedding song, but my wife objected....

I think if the correct sweep might be what is shown in the AJTT example (3rd post).

warrydog likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2014

Thanks for the help guys - The watch listed on MWR does not appear to have the coat hanger S on the Seamaster, which is what I would have expected, and as is shown on the other one in this thread that Erich posted.

This is a family piece, and the person who brought it to me claims it was purchased new from a dealer in Karachi in the 60's. It was redialed during a later service there as the owner (father of the person who brought me the watch) was tired of the black dial and white was more in fashion at the time apparently.

I know sometimes family histories are suspect based on watching Antiques Roadshow, but from what I gather it was a Seamaster just with a black dial instead of white.

Based on the one from AJTT posted above, if it was a black dial do we think it would have had plain white font, or something like silver or perhaps gold font to "match" the markers?

Cheers, Al

Etp095, Jwit and Privateday7 like this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 12, 2014

Based on the original black dialed watches I've had, print matches the figures and hands, silver figures, silver print, gold figures, gold print. Sports models and military watches, Speedmaster, SM 300 etc would be the exception, with white printing.

13. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 12, 2014

Here you go.
    My Seamaster Ranchero as it has been nicknamed.
    I believe this to be all original.
    285 might have been used with this case also. Not sure but I seem to recall that.
    Ranchero's and Seamaster Ranchero's should be in a 1.65m to 1.69m serial range I think
    if I recall correctly And they were both ref. 2990/6 Of course 2996 is the sweep
    mine3.jpg View attachment 38014 mine7.jpg mine8.jpg mine6.jpg

watchyouwant and felsby like this.
  14. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 12, 2014

I am also going to take a stab at what this dial looked like before it was redone.
    This picture below was a movement and dial that was for sale on ebay about
    a year or more ago.
    I think it is correct and a little known Ranchero variation. Of course this
    is a sub second dial but you get the idea.
    Looks just like your layout. Haven't seen one like this black though.
    This is the only Ranchero with this layout I have seen

racng.jpg

racher.jpg
    watchyouwant likes this.
  15. JohnSteed Jan 12, 2014

::popcorn::

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2014

She has no sense of romance :rolleyes: ?

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2014

Clicking on that link just leads me to a page to sign in....is there a title I can search for instead?

Thanks, Al

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2014

Is this Ranchero in disguise or frankenwatch?
    Feb 15 2011,08:19 AM

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2014

Just to update this thread...after much searching on here and the help I received (much appreciated by myself and my client) we found this photo:

[​IMG]

He decided this is what he would like the dial to look like, rather than going back to the original black.

So just a reminder what it looked like before:

[​IMG]

And now done:

[​IMG]

Certainly the purists will see the faults in this, but compared to what it looked like when I received it, I'm pretty pleased with this result. I think my client will be as well. Feel free to comment on it - good or bad.

Will post again once I have it all together.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Cheers, Al