Forums Latest Members

Need a little advice regarding some watchmaker books..

1. panaitchrono Sep 24, 2017

Hi

I'm not an watchmaker and I don't think I'll ever be but I want to study a little some technical details regarding the mechanisms from simple to complex..I know that Internet it's full of documentation but I want some books..please anyone if can guide me..what do you think it's best to read? From beginner to advanced..

Thank you.

I think most people buy and love mechanical watches buy them but they don't know really how they works..I'm one of them..:)

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2017

If you are looking for a book that explains how things work, rather than how to repair or service, then The Theory of Horology is the book for that.

Again it's not a book that shows you how to service anything, but simply goes through the various areas of a watch and shows how things work and relate to each other. It's a textbook used in many watchmaking schools - I still have mine. Warning...there is math involved if you really wan to get into things in depth.

panaitchrono likes this.
  3. panaitchrono Sep 24, 2017

Yes I'll look for how it works..not to repair or service. I think math will not be a problem for me..thank you for your advice. I'll look for the book.