Forums Latest Members

Need a gut check on an ed white speedy I'm considering

1. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

(Here's the album)http://imgur.com/a/RHaOe

Shitty pictures, but it's a 105.003.65

Looking for your guys opinions on the watch. Seller says it was serviced 2 months ago and is keeping good time, chrono resets as it should (which you can see in one of the blurry shots)

Bezel and dial look original to me but I'm not an expert on Ed White speedies. Hands need a bit of work and the bracelet looks wrong, but at the price he's asking I think I'd be ok.

So, would you pick up this watch? If so, what do you think would be a fair price?

2. mozambique Nov 4, 2015

I like the look of it. Nice aged bezel, case lugs look reasonable. Missing lume from dial and hands which will lower value quite a bit. Non-original Omega bracelet. No photo of the case back - I would want to see how worn that is. Also would want to know the movement serial number.

3. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

Thanks for the response! The guy is saying he doesn't have the tools to take off the caseback (the pictures were taken by his watchmaker) so it's a bit of a shot in the dark as far as the movement serial goes. I've asked for caseback photos and better shots of the lugs to get an idea of the state of the case.

He's asking 3200, which is what caught my attention. One of the cheapest ed whites I've seen, and not in awful shape from what I can tell.

4. abrod520 Nov 4, 2015

DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH

5. abrod520 Nov 4, 2015

Don't buy! Those photos surface every couple of weeks from a scammer. Search "ed white scam" here and you'll probably find those exact photos within 5 minutes.

6. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

Any particular reason? The fact that he doesn't have the tools to remove the caseback doesn't particularly strike me as a red flag. Hell, I've had to tell buyers that before when selling watches.

7. mozambique Nov 4, 2015

a scammer is a whole separate issue.....................suspiciously cheap!

8. abrod520 Nov 4, 2015

From 9/16
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/105...er-pull-the-trigger-or-not.29404/#post-328864

I recognized those photos immediately, but please read the entire thread above and note responses from those with much more experience than me. This the "Peruvian Scammer" who is well-known here; either way, the price being >50% of market should be a red flag regardless.

Ask him for a photo of the watch set to a particular time, with today's paper - see what he says :D

9. mozambique Nov 4, 2015

10. mozambique Nov 4, 2015

Ha!

11. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

Ooof, yep. Figured the price was maybe just someone who doesn't know what they have.

Thanks guys. I asked him for a bunch more photos. Expecting radio silence.

12. abrod520 Nov 4, 2015

The bright side is, you did good coming here and asking before pulling the trigger. Who knows how many people this guy has scammed out of $3500!
    With vintage watches, research is of the utmost importance. Followed by clear photos of the dial, case and movement, of course - never buy a vintage watch without a movement photo :)

Edited Nov 4, 2015
  13. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

Absolutely. Big thanks to both of you guys on that one.

I agree 100%. I'm a compulsive researcher on all of my bigger purchases, but it's hard to avoid that knee jerk reaction when you see something listed for such a low price. I've been looking at Ed Whites for a little bit and under normal circumstances probably wouldn't have been ready to even think about pulling the trigger on one for another couple of months.

The not-so-bright side is that this has re-affirmed that I really want an Ed White speedmaster. Gonna get expensive...

14. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Nov 4, 2015

Someone who doesn't know what they have doesn't list it as an Ed White.

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. abrod520 Nov 4, 2015

Good point! To which I'll add, someone who doesn't know what they have and can't open the caseback doesn't list it as a 105.003 as reference numbers don't appear anywhere on the outside of the watch.

16. Kazyole Nov 4, 2015

Fair point. Realistically someone who lists the watch on a watch forum (watchnet in this case, not ebay) probably knows what they have.

Oddly enough he actually responded with a caseback photo, which was surprising: 20151002_085725.jpg

but I've already replied to him with a link to the thread that abrod and mozambique linked, and told him that I'm not interested in moving forward with buying it, as those images are associated with a common known scam. See if he replies to that one...

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 4, 2015

That is very unlikely to happen these days..

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

The reason he's still doing it is because it works, if it looks too good to be true it probably is...

TLIGuy likes this.