Forums Latest Members
  1. jtth Feb 25, 2016

This is the watch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...816306?hash=item3d1295dcb2:g:lH4AAOSwvUlWsuHAPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The seller has dozens of Omegas for sale. They all look like redials. My question is, are they, and if so, do the rest of the watches seem legit? The movement looks like 1012, but the case and bracelet look to be in almost perfect condition. Did that model even have version with that beautiful green dial, or is that something else completely after-market?

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Feb 25, 2016

The description mentions the dial is refurbished i.e. repainted.

100% genuine - not a chance.

Go into this with your eyes open. To a collector this will be worthless (more or less), however, if you want it and can live with the non-originality and it's dirt cheap, then buy it and enjoy wearing it.

Some may disagree, but I'd rather these watches were worn and enjoyed than end up in landfill. Provided always that the buyer is aware of what's been done to them and the implications for purchase and resale value..

Edited Feb 25, 2016
  3. ConElPueblo Feb 25, 2016

If I were you, I'd stay well clear of watches on eBay from South Korea and India. Of course there are exceptions, but a large amount of these, and particularly those with colourful dials, are redials. I've noticed that a lot of them have badly corroded movements as well, probably due to the climate...

Until you get a bit better at spotting fakes and the like, stay away from listings from there.

...Of course, you may actually live there, in which case I urge you to see them in person first :D

jtth and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  4. GregH Feb 25, 2016

at least this seller his up front about the dial, because many are not
    from the auction description:
    Dial Color : Green
    (dial condition : refurbished from original omega dial)

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 25, 2016

South Korea is actually worse than India. Most Indian watches are pretty obvious redials and look to be in poor condition.

From what I'm told, some of the best rediallers in the world are in South Korea. I've seen some watches from there that are very difficult to tell from original. I think it's more of a cultural thing. The collectors in South Korea expect a vintage watch to look like new, so sellers oblige.
    gatorcpa

6. jtth Feb 25, 2016

Thank you all very much for the feedback! I think I'll pass on this one.