Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 2, 2013

Impossible, right?

Years ago I bought a pie pan Connie without realizing it was missing a bezel. I sold it to a friend who also didn't realize it was missing. He later found out, and we were both at a loss on what to do, as Omega wants to send it to Bienne for resolution.

And from day One, I have offered to buy it back for the $425 I sold it (in 1989).

It came up in conversation again, as my friend has decided to sell off assets due to an illness that has rendered such toys meaningless.

So the obvious questions:

1) How do I go about obtaining a replacement?
    2) What do you suppose would be the expected cost from the source?
    3) What value would the watch have without the bezel?

I don't have the watch in my possession, meaning no photos, but I can get it I suppose. I did document the watch when I bought it 25 years ago:
    14k, 33mm ref. 168 005, Swiss case, original silver dial, cal. 564, ser. 25,308,xxx circa 1969?

Thanks in advance!

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 2, 2013

Is it a gold cap connie or a solid 14k gold model? The bezel could possibly be fabricated or of course you could cannibalize it from a similar model. Value without the bezel will depend on whether it is gold cap or solid gold and the condition of the dial, case and movement - for that pictures would be helpful.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 2, 2013

Solid 14K.

I graded the dial as original and flawless, and the case as excellent with few signs of gentle wear.

I haven't seen it in 25 years, but if you knew my buddy...

I am not exaggerating when I say he wears soft white gloves when he shows me his collectibles. I am confident the condition of that Connie is the same.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 2, 2013

Sources for fabrication in the US? Any experiences?

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 2, 2013

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2013

Ofrei.com has the steel bezels for this reference:

[​IMG]

Omega Bezel For Case 167.0005 and 168.0005
    For cases 167.005, 167.0005, 168.005 and 168.0005.
    OME-082ST1680005

I don't know if they have the 14K gold ones, but if so, be prepared for sticker shock.
    gatorcpa

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Aug 3, 2013

I had a 14K Omega case melted and made into 14k bezels. The gold alloy is original from Omega with matching colour but now it's in different form, not a watch case anymore but a bezel.
    How do you call it ? An original product ? A frankened, a whatchamacallit ?

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 4, 2013

Thanks to all for the feedback. Otto Frei has no gold bezels. I emailed Wuischpard (case maker) and Peter said he will contact me Monday re: fabrication.

My friend asks me how much it's worth without the bezel? Excellent condition, flawless dial. I'm looking for ballpark, not commitments to buy, so feel free to respond without the benefit of pics. I will try to get the watch in for a photo shoot!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

That's probably the best use for the various ladies watches that have no market value other than melt anymore

10. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 4, 2013

Agreed :thumbsup: Did Omega make 14k watches or are they all non Swiss cases?

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

All my 14K Gold Seamaster Piepans are Swiss cased

12. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 4, 2013

Thanks, I thought I saw a post here about 14k gold capped or filled only being non Swiss cases but may have have been wearing my Bourbon Goggles when I read it :rolleyes:

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Most of the higher end Omegas of that era (read - Seamasters and Constellations) had both 14K and 18K Swiss made cases for different markets. My pie-pan Constellation has a 14K case as it was a US market watch with OXG on the movement. The only external difference is in the hallmark on the lug which is impossible to see without a very strong loupe.

Gold capped Omegas were sold all over, AFAIK. The words "Gold Filled" were only used on US market models, but there were a few Swiss made gold filled or plated cases hallmarked in French. Something like "Plaque d'Or 80 microns" would denote gold filled and 20 microns would be plated.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  14. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 4, 2013

Thanks Gator, here is another question about non-Swiss cased watches and in particular the US cased ones. Did or should they have SWISS or SWISS MADE at the bottom of the dial?

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Good rule of thumb for other Omegas is that Swiss Made on dial means Swiss cased. Swiss only means US national production.

This rule doesn't always work for Constellations or Seamasters, though. I've seen 1st generation Globemasters (Ref. 2652) with both captions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later Constellations had only Swiss Made regardless of the intended market.
    gatorcpa

16. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Aug 4, 2013

Thanks again, I have recently noticed a couple of Wadsworth cased bumpers that look like there is nothing at all at the bottom of the dial. That can't be correct can it? I'm undecided if this is a redial or not, the 'E' has an equal length center bar and there is not SWISS at the bottom of the dial unless it is hidden by the chapter ring

[​IMG]

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Redial - hence no mark at the bottom. The omega and automatic text isn't even aligned with the symbol!

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

I agree 100%, bad redial.

Even so, there are some Omegas that don't have anything at the bottom of the dial:

[​IMG]

gatorcpa