Forums Latest Members

Neat space story that I had not heard... The last Soviet in space

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2019

Edited Jun 1, 2019
    Tiny Iota, TLIGuy, WurstEver and 5 others like this.
  2. KeithS May 31, 2019

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I’m surprised he didn’t hop into the escape pod when they sent him lemon and horseradish for consolation....

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 1, 2019

I thought the same thing. You know it crossed his mind. The landing area they used was quite big... he had time to figure out the exact time and orbit it would have worked.

4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 1, 2019

Well an interesting point-of-view... Sergeï Krikalyev is one of the best-known Russian cosmonauts and flew on six spaceflight missions...
    This story focuses on the Mir 9-10 crew, which started with Soyuz TM-12 in May 1991... Juno mission with Britain's first cosmonaut, female PhD chemist Helen Sharman who was selected on BBC television from a group of 4 remaining candidates, beating Army Air Corps Major Tim Mace as first Briton in space and fly on the Mir space station...
    However, Sergeï Krikalyev was never alone aboard the Mir space station as regular crew scheduling remained operational thanks to some foreign cosmonaut trainees (Japan, Germany,... ). Nowadays vice-president of the Russian Space Corporation Energia
    1991 May 18, Soyuz TM-12 crew with Helen Sharman, Anatoli Artsebaski and Sergei Krikalyev on the right... the latter staying 311 days in space
    UK_Juno_Sharman.jpg

5. wagudc Jun 3, 2019

I remember discussing this guy when it happened. I was a young teen at the time so I didn't have all the details, it is nice to read the article. Thanks for sharing.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2019

I was a young teen too when this happened but somehow missed it. I was surprised I didn’t know the story.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 4, 2019

I certainly didn't miss it ;) but it looks like I didn't write an article on the TM-12 mission... Did so though for every other Mir mission carrying an international cosmonaut... Examples TM-11 (Japan) and TM-13 (Austria)
    And now it's time for a sabbatical from Omegaforums.net ...
    TM11_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg TM13_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg

Foo2rama likes this.