Nature Watch, Your Flora and Fauna Photos and Stories

Posts
3,801
Likes
20,263
When I was a youngster, I had some wonderful opportunities for photography. I did a fair amount of travel and generally had a camera and some lenses. These were shot with Fujichrome 50 and 100 slide film back in the 1990's and scanned on a Nikon LS-4000 some time this century .

Lots of flower porn and early morning landscape.
 
Posts
4,354
Likes
12,864
I spoke with an old friend who was a professional photog for decades about a decent starter camera for my daughter for Christmas. He told me not to do anything, and Thursday a box with a Nikon D7100 and two lenses showed up. He told me he had no use for the 7100 as he had bought it for a battery extension that was with it. Anyway, I went out with it this morning and the longer of the two lenses it came with, an 18~70mm and shot a little. I shoot with a D7500, and this is similar enough that it will make teaching her easy for me, and both are F mounts so we can share glass. I ran across a pair of roadrunners while I was out and I can't tell you how much I wished I had decided to grab my 70~300mm lens because I think I could have gotten a couple of good shots of them. Anyway, enough talk, here are a few of my photos with the new camera. I did crop them and resize them.
 
Posts
1,022
Likes
5,945
Two squirrels chasing each other around a tree. Actually one squirrel chasing another squirrel so I’m assuming a male and female….

Unfortunately backlit photo but I got to stand there a few minutes and they didn’t pay me any mind while they swirled around the tree.
Edited:
 
Posts
248
Likes
735
And now we have the first chrysalis - which is interestingly on a rose bush, rather than the milkweed that the caterpillar would have been born on and ate in order to grow:



The lovely gold ring around the top of the chrysalis is especially beautiful

Finally, just before hatching, the chrysalis turns black and then transparent, so you can actually see the new butterfly through it. It should hatch in the next few hours:





(I know that the process of metamorphosis is usually relegated to a sort of "science for kids" position, but I confess that I find it to be a really awe-inspiring thing)
 
Posts
1,022
Likes
5,945
I suspect there was also a roadrunner in the vicinity but I didn’t see it.
 
Posts
1,022
Likes
5,945
Pulled over to get some snaps of this guy/gal on the way to pick up some lunch. It was lunchtime for everyone it seems.
 
Posts
3,336
Likes
10,054
From todays ride in Telemark, Norway. An iron age "tinghaug" roughly Parliament hill. A place where people gathered from year 500 to 1500. It functioned as a sort of democratic lokal parliament, lokal court and to organize the "leidang" the lokal military defends.
View over Akkerhaugen
 
Posts
80
Likes
92
Half Moon Bay, California
The horses in the field very nearby the beach shown here
 
Posts
30,202
Likes
77,984
Autumn Meadowhawks...



Been in our home for 30 years, and this fall is the first time we have red squirrels hanging around...

 
Posts
1,858
Likes
9,477
From todays ride in Telemark, Norway. An iron age "tinghaug" roughly Parliament hill. A place where people gathered from year 500 to 1500. It functioned as a sort of democratic lokal parliament, lokal court and to organize the "leidang" the lokal military defends.
View over Akkerhaugen
I was here four years ago and many years ago I even saw the movie.

 
Posts
1,022
Likes
5,945
I took a walk through a small park with a pond. All the ducks were napping. It was uncanny. I didn’t know ducks napped in groups.