Forums Latest Members

NATO brand that will endure regular cleaning?

1. any4xx Aug 18, 2017

Hey Folks,

Yet another newby question:

Im intrigued by the looks of some of the nicer straps out there, but I have bad memories of a strap I had back in the 70's. Mainly, after a couple of days of absorbing sweat and dirt, it stunk. Washing it quickly caused it to fray. I've never has a watch with any sort of cloth strap since then.

Are there modern straps that either do not absorb the funk, or can withstand daily washings without deteriorating? I'd like to have another, but don't want to have the same bad experience. My days are filled with a constant saturation of dirt and sweat. I love wearing my Seamaster in this environment and refuse to throw on a rubber Casio any longer.

Thanks,
    Tom.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 18, 2017

Do a lot of fishing and outdoor stuff and wash NATOs a fair bit. Best one I have found is the Lum-inox ones. Made for what you want and one of the best made with solid metal pieces. Tried 10+ different ones over the years from cheap to expensive.
    Luminox website or a Singapore dealer has them. Don't expect all those pretty colours ( there is a few ) or ::puke:: striped ones.

Not a fan of anything but black but most here know that already :whistling:

any4xx likes this.
  3. Euxinus Aug 20, 2017

I wash my natos regurslly and they don't seem to fray, no matter what the brand. I don't throw them in a washing machine though, just a hand wash in a sink.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 20, 2017

they're 15 bucks! wash 'em often and chuck 'em if they fray.

and its an excuse to change up the colour and pattern! ( sorry @STANDY )

Fossil does nice ones that stand up well to abuse.

Archer and STANDY like this.