Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 1, 2020

And my personal connection.

As we all know by now, NASA recently launched a mission to Mars, and I'm so proud to say that I have a direct connection to the Perseverance Rover.

In that, the names of my Son, and my Grandson are engraved on a plaque on the chassis of the rover.

(Along with the names of another 10,932,293 names of people that participated)

But who cares.

The names of my progeny will be forever immortalised on a peice of 21st century technology that will languish in desolate isolation for millenia, until discovered by travellers from the distant points of other galaxies.

The names (almost 11 million of them) are contained on three small plaques, each approximately the size of a fingernail, so the travellers from the distant future better have a bloody big magnifying glass to see them!

2. pdxleaf ... Aug 1, 2020

Excellent. I am sorry I missed that.

Those plaques and the material on the moon may outlive earth's erosion of all our other work. At that point those small plaques are no longer about science but became art, the last conscious statement of a civilization.

It is also gratifying to know that it won't just be Richard Nixon's name on the moon plaque that future space explorers discover.

It is no small thought to look at the heavens and know your name is etched out there. Well done.

3. OmegaP99 Aug 3, 2020

This is very cool, congrats!
    One of my favorite bits of paraphernalia left behind on the moon doesn't get much attention, the Fallen Astronaut sculpture. It has a pretty wild story of it's own that involves a secret plan to place it on the moon and entanglements with NASA heads. You can read all about it here on Wikipedia. I also just found that there's a documentary about this piece on Amazon!

800px-Fallen_Astronaut.jpg

Edit to add this pic, which seems appropriate here:
    fallenastronaut01-lg.jpg

Edited Aug 3, 2020
    TJH and pdxleaf like this.
  4. vbrad26 Aug 3, 2020

Our offspring are on their way to Mars together then.
    Owen Braddock is "on board" as well lol.
    Olive did not make the cut, as she wont be available for flight until 11/4/2020 (supposedly).

Omegafanman, pdxleaf and OmegaP99 like this.