NASA approaching ex-SR-71A Blackbird Staff About Restart

Posts
563
Likes
4,043
Sorry...the p51 is sexy, too.

The passage below is reason enough to put to rest any thoughts of using the sr71 today:

"The Air Force and NASA destroyed a $600 million supply of spare parts for the Blackbird fleet in 2007. The move came long after it seemed unlikely, if not impossible, that an SR-71A would return to operational service.

That decision could lead to significant restart costs. In addition to all of the consumable spares that must be in regular supply, NASA would need to restore access to the Blackbird’s unique JP-7 fuel blend, the triethylborane ignition chemical, engine oil and hydraulic fluids, Relja adds. A hodgepodge of bespoke ground equipment also no longer exists, leaving the current effort without vital, if unheralded, pieces of equipment.

“To raise the wing, you need a cart,” he says. “To get the engine out, you need a cart. You need equipment to pull the [engine] spikes, pull the [ejection] seat. All that stuff is gone.”
 
Posts
210
Likes
245
Sorry...the p51 is sexy, too.

The passage below is reason enough to put to rest any thoughts of using the sr71 today:

"The Air Force and NASA destroyed a $600 million supply of spare parts for the Blackbird fleet in 2007. The move came long after it seemed unlikely, if not impossible, that an SR-71A would return to operational service.

That decision could lead to significant restart costs. In addition to all of the consumable spares that must be in regular supply, NASA would need to restore access to the Blackbird’s unique JP-7 fuel blend, the triethylborane ignition chemical, engine oil and hydraulic fluids, Relja adds. A hodgepodge of bespoke ground equipment also no longer exists, leaving the current effort without vital, if unheralded, pieces of equipment.

“To raise the wing, you need a cart,” he says. “To get the engine out, you need a cart. You need equipment to pull the [engine] spikes, pull the [ejection] seat. All that stuff is gone.”

I never get why people decide to do scrap history so readily. It wouldn’t have been hard to store in a warehouse somewhere indefinitely or even donate to a museum.

It’s like the British Navy. So many incredibly important historical battleships etc. and they were all sent to be scrapped for a packet of crisps. Even when there was interest in preserving some for museums. And Hornby destroying many of their old molds. Must be so many examples over history.
 
Posts
1,020
Likes
5,938
You seem to have spelled "P-51 Mustang" incorrectly there...

To this day, I maintain the unassailable belief that I will own and fly a P-51D as my retirement hobby. I envision living in a hangar somewhere in the desert like Maverick had in Top Gun 2.

In reality, I just buy another pilot's watch and tell myself I'm one step closer....
 
Posts
5,329
Likes
54,283
Sorry...the p51 is sexy, too.

The passage below is reason enough to put to rest any thoughts of using the sr71 today:

"The Air Force and NASA destroyed a $600 million supply of spare parts for the Blackbird fleet in 2007. The move came long after it seemed unlikely, if not impossible, that an SR-71A would return to operational service.

That decision could lead to significant restart costs. In addition to all of the consumable spares that must be in regular supply, NASA would need to restore access to the Blackbird’s unique JP-7 fuel blend, the triethylborane ignition chemical, engine oil and hydraulic fluids, Relja adds. A hodgepodge of bespoke ground equipment also no longer exists, leaving the current effort without vital, if unheralded, pieces of equipment.

“To raise the wing, you need a cart,” he says. “To get the engine out, you need a cart. You need equipment to pull the [engine] spikes, pull the [ejection] seat. All that stuff is gone.”

They just need to build a bigger 3d printer 😂 ain't that the Gen Z mindset lol
 
Posts
2,413
Likes
3,220
They might be resurrecting G.I. Joe platforms. I had this as a kid.


If so then I’m looking forward to the x-29 returning to the skies.
Oh shit, I had that first one and had almost completely forgotten about it.
 
Posts
1,020
Likes
5,938
Oh shit, I had that first one and had almost completely forgotten about it.
I also had whatever G.I. Joe called its F-14 Tomcat.

I'm trying to remember the strangest interpretation they made of a real aircraft. I think it was the bad guys' (Cobra) main fighter jet which was an interpretation of an A-10 with wings that could swivel for vertical take off.
 
Posts
3,159
Likes
6,566
I loved the sr71. Sexiest plane ever made...sexier than the f4, and that's saying something, but in this century, it is not the right plane for the job.
And I love the videos with Brian Shul 🛩️
 
Posts
563
Likes
4,043
Here is a rendering of the control tower/fortress that would serve the re born sr 71s AND would keep all those dead veterans from getting to the Lincoln Memorial. (This is especially close to my heart as my wife and I will both be permanent residents in/near
Mrs. Lee's Rose Garden some day. This makes me feel more safe.)
 
Posts
8,293
Likes
19,593
Here is a rendering of the control tower/fortress that would serve the re born sr 71s AND would keep all those dead veterans from getting to the Lincoln Memorial. (This is especially close to my heart as my wife and I will both be permanent residents in/near
Mrs. Lee's Rose Garden some day. This makes me feel more safe.)
suffering from flare-up symptoms again?
 
Posts
563
Likes
4,043
suffering from flare-up symptoms again?
Yes, thank you. It's PTSDESHV. (post traumatic stress disorder, Eric Schmitt Hilarity Variant)
Edited:
 
Posts
3,159
Likes
6,566
One should first take care of the planned on-board service above Mach 2 and 60,000 feet.



(My own picture / original)
 
Posts
8,293
Likes
19,593
Yes, thank you. It's PTSDESHV. (post traumatic stress disorder, Eric Schmitt Hilarity Variant)

Let me help you out with a response: You type: "SHOW ME"
This is funny because the halfwit senator is from Missouri, the SHOW ME state.
Yes, we have noticed. I feel for you my friend, having spent 20 years in the active Army I've seen plenty first hand and my mind remains clear and sharp - the good thing is that this is a free space allowing you to freely vent. I wish you well my friend 🙏
 
Posts
1,020
Likes
5,938
On the topic of the best value for money military aircraft, I'll nominate a plane another member has already posted.
With update programs, the B-52 is likely to be in service past 2050 which makes it the only design likely to be in service for 100 years.

The first one went into service in 1952. The oldest one currently in service started in 1962.

Every B-52 flying today is older than every crew member currently fling them. Many are older than their parents.

And the sexier looking, more expensive, more technologically advanced B-1 and B-2 could easily be retired well before the B-52.
 
Posts
563
Likes
4,043
Note: The buff comes complete with TONS of parts and equipment that were not discarded but retained because the big boy had never gone completely out of style. They have never been fully out of service.
 
Posts
7,067
Likes
13,041
Fascinating but surprising, seen the difficulties encountered during the M-21 project (strictly a modified A-12 as a two-seater) with piggy-backed unmanned D-21. In July 1966, the M-21 was lost and the program cancelled to be restarted with the B-52 as carrier aircraft for the spy drone.
Most amazingly, in January 1966 a Lockheed SR-71 desintegrated in flight but the crew was thrown clear as the aircraft broke up, with the pilot surviving the ordeal. The choice for supersonic capable ejection seats, instead of a detachable escape pod again proved correct!
Interestingly, the CIA wanted a full pressure suit for the A-12 (operational over North Vietnam and North Korea !), so David Clark developed the S901E full pressure suit, a version with a separate wrist watch pocket, ideal for the crownless tuning-fork movement Accutron Astronaut GMT pilot watch.
(photo: Lockheed 1964)
.
 
Posts
1,020
Likes
5,938
I forgot about the D-21 drone. I remember seeing pictures but never knew much about it. I just had to look it up now.

It was built to cruise at speeds over Mach 3.3 and altitudes of 90,000 feet to spy on hostile targets like China's Lop Nor nuclear site.

The drone would fly a pre-programmed path, drop its exposed film hatch for mid-air recovery by a C-130, and then self-destruct.

That’s some Mission Impossible stuff right there.

Three successful test flights were made, but on the fourth flight the drone crashed into the launch plane and one of the two crewmen was killed.

It was redesigned and eventually four unsuccessful operational missions were flown over China. The D-21 program was canceled in 1971.

 
Posts
751
Likes
1,754
The first one went into service in 1952. The oldest one currently in service started in 1962.

They must be like the Planes of Theseus at this point? I guess the airframes are probably the only things still largely original?
 
Posts
210
Likes
245
Fascinating but surprising, seen the difficulties encountered during the M-21 project (strictly a modified A-12 as a two-seater) with piggy-backed unmanned D-21. In July 1966, the M-21 was lost and the program cancelled to be restarted with the B-52 as carrier aircraft for the spy drone.
Most amazingly, in January 1966 a Lockheed SR-71 desintegrated in flight but the crew was thrown clear as the aircraft broke up, with the pilot surviving the ordeal. The choice for supersonic capable ejection seats, instead of a detachable escape pod again proved correct!
Interestingly, the CIA wanted a full pressure suit for the A-12 (operational over North Vietnam and North Korea !), so David Clark developed the S901E full pressure suit, a version with a separate wrist watch pocket, ideal for the crownless tuning-fork movement Accutron Astronaut GMT pilot watch.
(photo: Lockheed 1964)
.

I don’t suppose you have a website where you have compiled all your knowledge? You have so many interesting posts on here, but as it is a forum it is easy to miss them.
 
Posts
7,067
Likes
13,041
The D-21 slowed down the Lockheed M-21 Blackbird version and for me it's still amazing but I don't know if the piggy-backed combination was ever tested in a windtunnel.
Anyway the first three test went without any problems but the fourth ended in disaster.
Remember when the MD-21 drone was released it encountered engine problem and couldn't cross the highspeed Mach 3 boundary air wave of the M-21 Blackbird colliding with the aircraft, which broke up...
YouTube footage is entitled " SR71 Sistership, The MD21 Blackbird Accident "