Narrowing Down References

Hey there. It's my first time posting here, so please feel free to redirect me if this isn't the appropriate venue for this question, or if the question itself has been asked ad nauseum. I'm new to vintage watches but I've wanted a Speedmaster for years.

While I love that there are so many options to pull from, I have to say that it's made my particular search kind of difficult. It's not that I'm looking for a particular edition so much as something that has developed a particular patina. I really want something that's gone a little tropical, with a blue bezel, and lumes that are either still bright and clean, or have developed that kind of pumpkin-gold color.

Because this could potentially end up being a 5 figure purchase, I also wanted some advice on purchasing watches that are more likely to hold their value. At the end of the day, I'm buying what I like, and I'm secure in that, but it's easier to justify the purchase if I'm not worried about taking a bath should my tastes ever change.

Thoughts?

Hello @tkaupp and welcome to the forum!

The world's best site on vintage Speedmaster references is here: https://speedmaster101.com/

After you've consumed all the information on that site, come back here and read through as many threads as you can find on vintage Speedmasters. Learn as much as you can about the models that appeal to you. Pay close attention to the many nuances in the dials, bezels, case styles, and handsets that collectors look for and appreciate, and how to discern against forgeries.

Then, armed with that foreknowledge, search for listings that might be for sale on the forum sales pages and elsewhere, and ask our forum members to opine about the examples you find for sale. Most of all, have patience! The fun is in the hunt!

Not sure this is helpful, but the “budget choice” might be an 80s Speedy. Some of them are known to have bezels that slowly turn blue in the sunlight. To show what I mean, here’s my 86 example of a regular Pro (145.022):

IMG_8297.jpeg

Do note the bezel appears black in anything but direct sunlight. So does the dial, which shows the lightest hint of a not-so-deep black. Tritium lume aged vanilla, and all that can be found for 4-5k or so.

There are other examples with blue bezels and deep brown dials. Different price range though.

It sounds like you know exactly what you want, and you will just have to hunt patiently. Tropical Speedmasters with blue bezels don't grow on trees.

Hello @tkaupp and welcome to the forum!

The world's best site on vintage Speedmaster references is here: https://speedmaster101.com/

After you've consumed all the information on that site, come back here and read through as many threads as you can find on vintage Speedmasters. Learn as much as you can about the models that appeal to you. Pay close attention to the many nuances in the dials, bezels, case styles, and handsets that collectors look for and appreciate, and how to discern against forgeries.

Then, armed with that foreknowledge, search for listings that might be for sale on the forum sales pages and elsewhere, and ask our forum members to opine about the examples you find for sale. Most of all, have patience! The fun is in the hunt!

Great Advice, see you on the other side of the rabbit hole!

Not sure this is helpful, but the “budget choice” might be an 80s Speedy. Some of them are known to have bezels that slowly turn blue in the sunlight. To show what I mean, here’s my 86 example of a regular Pro (145.022):

IMG_8297.jpeg

Do note the bezel appears black in anything but direct sunlight. So does the dial, which shows the lightest hint of a not-so-deep black. Tritium lume aged vanilla, and all that can be found for 4-5k or so.

There are other examples with blue bezels and deep brown dials. Different price range though.
Not a bad suggestion, thanks!

It sounds like you know exactly what you want, and you will just have to hunt patiently. Tropical Speedmasters with blue bezels don't grow on trees.

they also aren’t cheap. And you have to watch out for sellers aging the dial and bezel artificially to get the patina that buyers want to pay a premium for.

they also aren’t cheap. And you have to watch out for sellers aging the dial and bezel artificially to get the patina that buyers want to pay a premium for.

Indeed, I specifically remember one of these from a few years ago that was very sketchy, and passed through the hands of at least two major dealers. I can't find the thread, but I believe that it was ultimately revealed that the bezel was artificially enhanced.
Edited:

Yeah, I've been pretty paranoid about purchasing something cobbled together from a bunch of random treated parts. I read through the speedmaster101 site and I feel like I'm starting to see replaced hands and repainted lumes everywhere.