Forums Latest Members
  1. brazenc5 Aug 29, 2015

Hi all,

Been looking at several watches and narrowed the choices to a 42mm PO 8500 or a Speedmaster 9300.

I really like the looks similar to the speedy pro along with the date function and automatic movement but don't read much about them on the forums...are they (Speedmaster 9300) not well received?

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 29, 2015

They are very different watches.

I am a fan of the 9300, but it comes down to what you prefer, and what you will be using the watch for.

brazenc5 likes this.
  3. Alex_TA Aug 29, 2015

Well received by me [emoji6]
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440841051.387545.jpg

brazenc5 likes this.
  4. DTMwatch Aug 29, 2015

My advice: Try them both on and see which one immediately feels and looks right to you. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck.

brazenc5 likes this.
  5. OmegaSean Aug 29, 2015

Agree def try them both a few times I've got the PO Ti 42 8500 love it very comfortable but I also recently tried on the Speedmaster 57 Ti 42 with the 9300 it was georgeous with the blue hands at a very good price (was in an official dealers in Turkey) and was around £2000 off RRP if you can find a shop with both models spend some time wearing them both you will know which you perfer once you try them together good luck
    OmegaSean

brazenc5 likes this.
  6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 29, 2015

I've owned both and while they're both great I'm a huge fan of the cal. 9300. I would say they're both well-received but there is a large faction that find them too thick. The PO gets more of a pass on this because it's a diver but there are many that find the thickness of pretty much all 9300's to be unacceptable.

Personally I think the 9300 Speedmaster wears its thickness well and almost hides it with elegant sides similar in design to a standard Speedy Pro. See here, doesn't look too thick to me:

[​IMG]

However, I briefly had this cal. 9300 DeVille which has a gorgeous dressy dial and then this tuna can design that even I thought made it wear too tall. Maybe it wan't the actual thickness that bugged me, but the incongruity of a dress watch and the beefy looking case sides:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 29, 2015
    brazenc5 likes this.
  7. brazenc5 Aug 29, 2015

Dang...I just reviewed my browser bookmarks and forgot about the Speedy 57. Between the Speedy 9300 and the 57...any difference in future resale (think they would be comparable)?

I was primarily looking pre-owned...there is a Speedy 57 (black dial/leather strap) on TZ for 3,900, and a Speedy 9300 on bracelet on WUS for 5,000 that I'm bouncing between.

Either way I'll be swapping the strap for a distressed leather strap. Was thinking that the bracelet is more popular if I ever decided to sell in the future (see how crazy I get?)

Speedy 57 at that price to tough to pass up?

As for use...I plan to eventually settle on maintaining a modest collection of 3 watches in this price range and will be worn weekly in the office (business casual). At the moment I believe I'll procure a Speedy 9300/57 and a PO 8500...it's a matter of which comes this year / next year.

I tried on the PO and it looked and felt nice but failed to try on the Speedy 9300 because at the time I thought I was set on the PO.

Andy...the Speedy 9300 doesn't look tall at all, but I agree the juxtaposition of the dial and case of the Deville is wild.

Alex...beautiful picture...makes me want it more!

Canberra Omega...I had a short term work assignment of 4 months in Sydney...best 4 months of our life...still miss living in Milsons Point.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it...no one I know is into watches and can't share in the obsessive pre-purchase experience :) also good to hear about the positive response to the Speedy 9300!

Alex_TA likes this.
  8. jcmartinez98 Aug 29, 2015

i have only 2 watches. (i'm fine with that) a DSOM, which is the same as a 9300 speedy, and a 45 titanium PO 8500. love them both. for the purposes you list, i think both would work well. the PO is certainly a heftier, sportier, beefier, more casual watch than the speedmaster, but both are great. i think you can't go wrong. but if you want to start a bit smaller, go for the speedy.

brazenc5 likes this.
  9. brazenc5 Aug 29, 2015

If I had a DSOM...and a Ti PO...wouldnt have "time" for a third, I'd be extatic! Beautiful collection, sir.

jcmartinez98 likes this.