Forums Latest Members

NAIAD Lock Caseback - Tolerance? (Follow-up)

1. bama2141 Jul 30, 2019

I recently bought a new Seamaster Ceramic and Titanium watch which has the NAIAD style caseback. From what I’ve read, this is supposed to assure that the writing on the caseback aligns with the lugs or crown in a repeatable manner.

Unfortunately, after reading this I discovered that mine was “close” but not accurately aligned. The METAS data says the watch passed the pressure testing and everything else is great, but now I’m concerned that something in amiss

Is there an expected tolerance on the alignment? I’d guess mine is off by about 10 degrees. I could bring it in to a Boutique but I’d hate to lose the watch for weeks for something that’s really ok

Any info would be appreciated. Also any info on how this lock functions would also be great. 210D7EBB-59DA-4466-AAB4-F65640A38D2D.jpeg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 30, 2019

Are you sure that has the niad caseback? There is normally a symbol or it says niad. The website does not list it as having one.

3. CJpickup57 Jul 30, 2019

Capture19.PNG

@bama2141 I cannot find any important info pertaining to your question at Omega's website or even searching here. I found a bunch of articles and other forums talking about the system, but not it's technical specs. I found patent information about it (looks like you have to pay to see it though :thumbsdown:): https://patents.patsnap.com/v/US10073418-sub-assembly-of-external-parts-for-watch.html

Edited Jul 30, 2019
  4. bama2141 Jul 30, 2019

5. Evitzee Jul 30, 2019

It's probably ok pressure wise but it should line up exactly, that's how they are designed. Your's looks like it needs a little more CW rotation to fully seat the back. I'd probably lean to taking it back to the OB and have it checked.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. AntonisCy Jul 30, 2019

Get it checked!

7. MalaMD Jul 31, 2019

Definitely get it checked - I understood that the whole point of it was that it lined up perfectly every time.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2019

Sort of like the bayonet fitting of a camera lens on a SLR. These case backs can go on in 3 different locations, all equally spaced, so if yours is only out by approx. 10 degrees, they have it at the right starting point, but just not rotated far enough. If you have a sticky ball you might be able to press and turn it to the fully rotated position. It should stop when it's fully rotated.

vitriol and Manticore like this.
  9. bama2141 Jul 31, 2019

Took everyone's advice and went to my local OB. First thought was to send the watch in to the service center, but that would take an estimated 6 to 8 weeks. Bummer.

The OB then brought out two additional, new, examples of this model Seamaster with the NAIAD lock. One was misaligned identically to mine

At that point I asked the OB to simply query the service center whether this was a problem or not. I provided a photo of my caseback to be sent. Hopefully I'll get a definitive response in a few days.

Sethmns and Omega-Q like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 31, 2019

Why not remove and reinstall the CB?

11. bama2141 Jul 31, 2019

No tool at the OB. I tried Archer's suggestion with the sticky ball and no dice there.

At this point I'm thinking that it's actually locked, but that the writing on the caseback (or the machining of the case) is slightly off. We'll see what info the service center comes back with.

12. AntonisCy Jul 31, 2019

That is funny because the whole reason why NAIAD exists is because it is supposed to be perfectly aligned.

CJpickup57, 89-0 and ConElPueblo like this.
  13. Omega-Q Jul 31, 2019

You did the right thing by asking the question at the OB. I had some minor issues with my new SMP & actually had to send it in to the service center, but they fixed all my issues. Unfortunately, I was without the watch for a few weeks, but ensuring that I had the watch that I wanted was worth it! Additionally, it identifies a problem for the larger Omega brand, and hopefully they will fix it. Consider it a service to others? :)

bama2141 and AntonisCy like this.