Mythbusting the Moonwatch and how the Daytona failed by the Official Omega Vintage Somlo London Shop

I think perhaps the OP doesn’t understand professional.

professional was added to the watxh once it got the crown guards. This was to address the chance of the pushers getting caught on fabric and being ripped off. The first model to get these was the 105.012. The Ed white or first speedy in space is a pre professional with no crown guards and straight lugs.

again using the term Moonwatch depends on a few things.

Omega has used it on the modern 2 registers like the dark side of the moon edition.

some have used it as watches that are certified, which the 861 was as well. Some people only the specific reference that went to the moon, and others include those and the ones with the certified caseback.

I’d just take a deep breath and relax.

Because a couple of posts above, Foo and I both said that ‘all Speedmaster Professionals are moonwatches’.

We’re partly agreeing with you, all modern speedmasters aren’t moonwatches, but (depending on your criteria) all Speedmaster Professionals are moonwatches.

Understood, but even if it were 'All professional watches are Moonwatches', that's still very problematic.

hi Phil

this is a “high class” problem !

Which is great for the collecting community….

Everyone is talking Moonwatch !

Good Hunting
Bill

professional was added to the watxh once it got the crown guards. This was to address the chance of the pushers getting caught on fabric and being ripped off. The first model to get these was the 105.012. The Ed white or first speedy in space is a pre professional with no crown guards and straight lugs.

Omega has used it on the modern 2 registers like the dark side of the moon edition.

some have used it as watches that are certified, which the 861 was as well. Some people only the specific reference that went to the moon, and others include those and the ones with the certified caseback.

??? I'm perfectly relaxed, and use dry diaphragmatic, segmented, square free-dive breathing techniques on a daily basis.

Yes I'm fully aware of that. Thanks for patronising me.
My Seamaster 300 (165.024) has exactly the same crown guards
..perhaps I should now think of my SM300 as a Moonwatch👍

hi Phil

this is a “high class” problem !

Which is great for the collecting community….

Everyone is talking Moonwatch !

Good Hunting
Bill

A Working Class Hero is something to be 😉

What’s your point?
Are we to infer you’re saying this isn’t a Moonwatch? Clearly Omega and MWO authors disagree as it’s covered in the bible.
Personally I only consider a manually wound Speedmaster with plain black dial, hesalite and crown guards a Moonwatch but that’s my subjective opinion.

Yes I'm fully aware of that. Thanks for patronising me.
My Seamaster 300 (165.024) has exactly the same crown guards
..perhaps I should now think of my SM300 as a Moonwatch👍

Rather than saying others are wrong using straw man arguments, perhaps you should say what you think constitutes a Moonwatch

What’s your point?
Are we to infer you’re saying this isn’t a Moonwatch? Clearly Omega and MWO authors disagree as it’s covered in the bible.
Personally I only consider a manually wound Speedmaster with plain black dial, hesalite and crown guards a Moonwatch but that’s my subjective opinion.

omega-speedmaster-broad-arrow-35945000-1019ef.png
????? ::stirthepot::

Not sure if trolling or…

I’m just saying different people have different opinions and Omega has there own as well.
It’s always been this way and always will.

I never use the term moonwatch as it’s an imprecise term with different meanings to different people.

next your going to tell me a mustang is a muscle car….

but sure go ahead and attack me lol.

This argument feels like repositioning deck chairs on the Titanic.

omega-speedmaster-broad-arrow-35945000-1019ef.png
????? ::stirthepot::

Well thought out response. Are you saying this is or isn’t a Moonwatch or are you cryptically disagreeing until I arrive at your as yet unspecified opinion on what a Moonwatch is.
Seems like you’re trolling so I’m done with this thread.

Can we chat about something more important? For example, which is more correct: POE-TAY-TOE or POE-TAH-TOE? I need to know this before I attend my next dinner party wearing my Speedmaster Whatever model.

We know what the first moonwatches were. Omega recognized them after they went to the moon, not before. So it was the fact that they were used and certified by NASA that made them moonwatches, not what Omega declared.

Someone might argue that only watches used by NASA are moonwatches. But because NASA received mass produced watches that were available to the general public, any similar watch could be considered a moonwatch.

Only a few went to the moon, even though NASA had a larger inventory used in training. So to be a MW it didn't have to actually go to the moon.

In my mind, a MW needs the same design elements as the black dial, 3 register chronograph of the first NASA watches. The questions are what happens as these evolve? How much change is permitted before it's too different? Sapphire crystal but everything else the same? 18k gold instead of steel but everything else the same? 861 caliber instead of 321? 1861 instead of 861? 3861 instead of 1861? If 3861 is allowed, what about ceramic case instead of steel?

I'm okay with the 321, 861, 1861 evolution. Even the 18k gold watches presented to the astronauts being all MW. I can get on board with the 3861 since it's an evolution in the same reference, although I have personal reservations over whether it is a true MW.

Regardless, I don't think there will ever be 100% agreement.

Well thought out response. Are you saying this is or isn’t a Moonwatch or are you cryptically disagreeing until I arrive at your as yet unspecified opinion on what a Moonwatch is.
Seems like you’re trolling so I’m done with this thread.

Not at all, but this seems to meet your 'I only consider a manually wound Speedmaster with plain black dial, hesalite and crown guards a Moonwatch but that’s my subjective opinion' criteria. I certainly wouldn't think of it as a Moonwatch, but then as per my original post, I really don't see how a majority of Speedmasters can be considered Moonwatches.

Read @Foo2rama 's comment again. He didn't say all Speedmasters, he said all Speedmaster Professionals. Big difference.

I'd agree, all Speedmaster Pros are Moonwatches.

What’s your point?
IMG_6675.jpeg