Forums Latest Members

Mystifying developments in LeLocle

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

We normally have our heads buried in vintage over here, but I'm taking a moment to note the buzz on the interwebs concerning Zenith's introduction of the Zenith 3000 caliber for its 45mm size Pilot watch

http://www.zenith-watches.com/fr_fr...xtra-special/pilot-type-20-extra-special.html

The Zenith 3000 turns out to be a Sellita 300. While the rest of the watch industry moves to in-house, Zenith goes the opposite way (possibly at the expense of the Elite - begin listening at 9:43 in the following interview http://www.watch-insider.com/news/baselworld-2014-interview-with-jean-fred-dufour-ceo-zenith/). And has the cheek to name the watch sporting the Sellita the "Extra Special."

Thankfully, we can bury our heads right back in vintage.

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 30, 2014

That was the exact sentiments that I had from a friend who's an AD a couple of weeks ago when he received some training on the new movement. Weird things happening.

3. ulackfocus Mar 30, 2014

The deeper I get into watches, the less I want to be bothered with them anymore. Quite a paradox developing.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 30, 2014

Wait a second.........the Caliber 680 ultra thin found in Elite, is it still in house? or do you mean they will discontinue that soon?

5. Veritas99 Mar 30, 2014

The rumor is that the Elite movement (which is still in house) will be discontinued and replaced with a Sellita In Zenith's three hand watches.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 30, 2014

Plus the new zenith watches being introduced are not styled to reflect the brand's vintage heritage.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 31, 2014

What a decision ::screwloose:: . Just when everybody else pouring multi million dollars to build in-house movement, this company dropped their perfectly fine in-house ultra thin movement. Or is it true in house? probably it is another highly modified ETA?

8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 31, 2014

And they expect watch owners to pay substantially more than independents for servicing. :thumbsdown:

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2014

What a coincidence, I'm just watching a doco on SBS (Aus TV) and it's all about students going to school in LeLocle.

Some great horological workshop shots and one of the students talking to Vincent Berard, pity it was only 30 minutes.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2014

No, it is totally in house, developed at great expense and introduced to some acclaim in the early 1990s. I've got a couple and find them to be accurate and reliable.

I think the decision has to do limited manufacturing capacity, which Zenith prefers to devote entirely to El Primero. It remains to be seen whether the whole Sellita thing will negatively impact Zenith's reputation.

11. mojothewolf Jul 18, 2014

Has anyone bought an extra special pilot with the new 'outsourced ' movement, Shame cos it looks cool ...

12. mojothewolf Jul 18, 2014

[​IMG]