Forums Latest Members
  1. Baker1858 Sep 12, 2014

So hopefully this Seamaster is not a mystery to any of you, but I have been searching all over and have not found anything to compare it to. The watch belongs to my girlfriend's uncle and he says it was his father's. I have not seen the watch in person so I don't know any of the reference numbers on it. I was only provided with this picture and asked to research the watch and it's value. If anyone has info about when the watch could have been made or a specific model that it is, that would be really helpful. Not being able to find any similar watched online makes me nervous though about its authenticity. Hopefully it is not a fake, but understand that it is a possibility.

[​IMG]

I few things I have noticed to be unusual about this watch are the squares on the dial, and the case shape. I have seen similar case shapes but not quite exactly like this and I have never seen a dial similar to this with the squares. Thanks in advance for any help, I really wish I could have seen the watch in person before have to post this so I would have more information.

2. Hexicon Sep 12, 2014

Hey Baker . The black block hour markers are very late 60s early 70s. Many watch brands used these blocks on their dials. And the case is very much the shape of this Hummer I have from the early 1970s , see photo. The hands are of that time frame also. So that would be a start for you. As for the cal. I could only take a guess.

One of the sites more established members may drop by & give a better insight .... Nice watch by the way :)

HUMMER.JPG
  3. tdn-dk Sep 12, 2014

[​IMG]

4. Mothra Sep 13, 2014

5. wwhntr Sep 13, 2014

Both ref #'s wear the "sparkly dial", but Dablitzer's was the chronometer version, thus the different ref #. I believe this dial finish was only used for a few years.

The "sparkly dials" were also seen on ref 168.022/166.028 date only cal 564, chronometer (same watch, but two ref #'s on two lines???) and 166.032/168.023 day/date cal 751, chronometer (another dual ref # model). There may have been a few more, but I'm getting these dual ref cases mixed up, especially as to which contained chronometer vs non-chronometer cals. They were made in steel with silver dials and gold capped with gold dials. I do not know if any were made in solid gold.

The "sparkly dials" are very desirable for some collectors!