Mystery Omega

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the form as i just discovered it looking for information about an Omega i recently inherited. Reading through some of the threads, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here, so i hope you all can help me out.

My grandfather recently passed away and he left me his gold omega. Its the only watch I've ever seen him wear, and its the reason that, when I could afford it, I bought my own, a Seamaster 300 cal. 8912. I'm not necessarily interested in the "value" of the watch as I'm not looking to sell it. I do want to know more about it though. I've dug through every resource I can find, including the vintage watch section on Omega's website (thanks to this forum!) but I can't find anything, anywhere that matches what i have.

So, here is what I know:
1. It was given to my grandfather in December of 1961 as an anniversary gift, per engraving on case back.
2. The watch works but it needs servicing.
3. the inside caseback is marked with FX6282 and serial # D80634, 10k Gold bezel and SS back
4. the case back has several engravings which i think track with service dates, the most recent being 40364MB
5. the movement is a cal 491 with serial # 15213768 (1958)
6. I think that the gold mesh "JB Champion" bracelet is original
7. I measure the case to 34 mm and the lug width to 17mm
8. It has an acrylic-dome crystal

I think its a 1598 Omega Tresor, but I can't find any photos that match the 491 movement with the FX6282 case, that also has the same sub-second dial with the same hour markings, specifically the markers at 12, 3, and 9 on a champagne dial.

All I want to replace the crystal and replace the crown with an original or at least period omega crown (unless the one shown is original, but I cant find anything that has the same 'half-moon-arrow" shape. And I would like to try and find a replacement band - the clasp clamp on this one slips.

Thanks for any help or information you guys might have! Photos below.

Thanks,

Charlie

Omega 1.jpg Omega 3.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 8.JPEG Omega 7.JPEG Omega 4.jpg Omega 6.JPEG

No mystery, it's a reference FX6282 an American market watch produced by the US distributor for Omega, Norman Morris.

The crown is from a Rado definitely not correct.

Bracelet while it may be "original" it was not supplied nor made by Omega. Possibly fitted by the selling dealer, this would ave been supplied on a leather strap.
Edited:

Thanks for the confirmation! Any leads on where I might find information to source the right crown?

Thanks for the confirmation! Any leads on where I might find information to source the right crown?

Your watchmaker will source a new crown when you bring it in for a service. If you need a watchmaker recommendation, just let us know whereabouts you are.

For the service, you’ll need to let the watchmaker know how much of a nerd you are. To retain the look and value, it’s recommended you tell them to not polish the case (they’ll clean it ultrasonically, that’s enough). Some folks just want the watch fixed, and they are out the door, you might instead want to request a sympathetic service that retains the watch’s vintage character, and to keep the watch’s charm as your grandfather would have known it. Someone here can let you known what the crown should look like.

Thank everyone! I live in Tupelo, MS (North MS). The one watchmaker we had in our area passed away. I would welcome recommendations for a good watchmaker(s)!