Forums Latest Members
  1. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

Need the respectable members' help to identify the case reference to which this movement belongs, given the wide 2-3 mm bushing in which it came ::confused2::
    I believe this would make it a jumbo case at nearly 37-39 mm wide, and the lip on the outside of the bushing would 'not' have been where a bezel would have snapped onto. There would have to be additional 'case' metal outward and upward to receive a bezel.
    Can't seem to find any reference to match anywhere.... :confused:
    30t2pc2.jpg 30t2pc1.jpg

2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 26, 2013

Looks like a custom made bushing to me, for a 37mm case.

3. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

Doesn't it seem that way, given the irregularity of the gap in the bushing where the stem goes? That's one thought that came to mind, but that bushing really does look like it is original to the movement and dial :confused:
    If it is custom made, what kind of case would it go in then?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 26, 2013

This is the type of movement ring is pretty typical of larger 40s/50s solid gold Omegas. Cases were fairly thin, even the Swiss ones.

Yours likely went in from the front with a fairly wide bezel.

IMG_0642.JPG IMG_1290.JPG IMG_2712.JPG

5. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

Thanks X350.
    Any known reference numbers for these early large cases? Do you know the case reference for that first one with the pointy lugs?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 26, 2013

The first one is an unsigned 18K contract case, second one is a ref 2894 Tresor and the third one is a 18K Swiss Omega case but no reference number.

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jul 26, 2013

Here's a 18K Tresor 2687 with "Metal" stamped on it

[​IMG]

a 30T2SCRg

[​IMG]

a 30T2 in 18k Swiss Case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

39mm ref 2544

[​IMG]

and none of them has the ring like yours.

8. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

Very much appreciated, thanks

9. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

Great, Hoi! Thanks
    That's what I love about Omega, the mystery behind the hunt for the truth ;)
    You're right, though... Still, do you think maybe the movement fitted from the front falls onto a ledge part of the case so when seen from the back it seems like the bushing is thinner? I've looked at so many empty cases with different references and that may be, but can't imagine that the actual case can be so thin :confused:

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 26, 2013

Exactly. You would probably see only the part I've noted between the lines.

Add in the numerous South American gold cases and the possibilities are nearly endless, as there was really no specification given for these.

23492-cee94709a952347e901d7174ffc2b2a0.jpg

11. Melhadary Jul 26, 2013

My watch maker also has another angle regarding this issue, here's what he had to say about it:

"the bushing being 35 mm O.D., a 37.5 mm doesn't have enough case metal thickness on either side of the movement. Here's the deal. 35 mm bushing, +1.25 mm, +1.25 mm = 37.5 mm. The problem is that 1.25 mm of case wall thickness isn't enough to remotely be solid, or robust. It takes a full 2-2.5 mm of wall thickness, on either side, to be somewhat solid construction.

Now take a look at how the movements mount into all these cases. Notice the two large case screws that attach the movement to the case. Look at their location carefully, and you can see that 1/2 the diameter of the heads of the case screws reach over onto the innermost I.D. of the case. That's how the movement is attached to the case. Now, look at the back of the movement/bushing. See where the case screws attach the movement to the bushing? They cannot reach any case metal, as the O.D. of the screw heads doesn't even extend to the outer edge of the bushing. So, the point is that in none of these oversize cases is the bushing itself visible. And.....if one sees just the case screw heads overlapping the case metal in a particular case, then there not only isn't a bushing, but there is no need for one. That's just because the case is machined to receive the movement dimensions directly in all of reference numbers.

As for just finding a case, that's no problem. Any of the 30 T2's, 260's, or 270 cases will clearly receive this movement, but I'd have to remove the bushing to fit the movement in place. Ah, ha! We have a bushing, and I have to say, Mazen, that it has every appearance of being original to the movement/dial. Herein lies the problem. If I am to figure out what case this thing actually came out of, it should be from the perspective of keeping the bushing in place."

Quite the dilemma, huh!