Forums Latest Members
  1. lefse Aug 17, 2018

Hi,

Firstly;
    Great forum, thanks for the wealth of information, really entertaining :)

I just acquired an old Omega Constellation. I'm not an expert, and haven't opened it yet. But after googling "constellation gold capped vintage", a few 168.0005's look almost the same.

The dial is in good shape, though the crystal is toast. Not sure if the crown is original.
    Is anyone here certain as to which model this is?

Thanks! :)

IMG_4299.jpg IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4296.jpg IMG_4295.jpg IMG_4294.jpg
  2. kmd28 Aug 17, 2018

Crown is not original. I've never seen an unsigned crown on a constellation, but I may be wrong. Let's wait for the experts input. :)

3. Maganator Aug 17, 2018

I am no expert on these at all but Google Omega Constellation caliber 561 and see what you find there.

It looks to me like those lugs are way over polished and as @kmd28 has said, the crown is incorrect.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Noddyman Aug 17, 2018

I would guess 168.005 fitted with a cal 564 movement. I say 564 because the markers are painted black rather than the earlier onyx versions.

The crown is wrong and seconds hand is too short. Seconds hand should extend to the minute markers.

I agree with you about the dial, it probably looks ok beneath that scratched up crystal.

That brings me to the case which is a complete write-off if I am being honest.... sorry!
    Not a lot you can do there other than try and find a replacement.

Edited Aug 17, 2018
    Peemacgee likes this.
  5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 18, 2018

Dial would probably come up a treat with a polish of the crystal. Those lugs are about as round as Kim Kardashians butt, and look as though there has been some brassing, so it's an 'uncoddled' watch for sure.

But, if you didn't pay too much then it has potential as a daily wearer, providing the movement is cleaned and oiled.

tamura likes this.
  6. Passover Aug 18, 2018

As already described before there has been a lot of polishing, count the stars on the medallion, there should be eight.

If you want to make some further steps into "Vintage Watches", get yourself some Polywatch and see what you can do about the crystal
    (as proposed by Desmond)

[​IMG]

You can also get yourself a case opener (simple one will do) and take a look inside in order to get the reference number and movement type and serial

[​IMG]

Good luck!

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 18, 2018

The crown is easily replaced, as are the crystal and seconds hand. These parts are still being made.

On a crystal this scratched up, Polywatch is probably a waste of time. It is not a signed original anyway.

It will take an decent investment to get this watch looking good again, but there is still no way to turn back the clock on the harsh polishing of the case.

Not sure what I would recommend here.
    gatorcpa