Forums Latest Members

Mysteries in the life of a watch

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

This was the ugly duckling in an auction lot of two. It’s small but I actually find it quite pretty.
    I like the patina on the dial and the darkened metal of the case. At first it looked like steel to me as it looks solid but the color and the « stainless steel back » marking suggest otherwise. Any idea what metal it might be?

And how did that case come to have like knife gouges on the sides of the lugs?
    Did people use watches to sharpen their knives in the old days?

If I were a seller I’d say it must be military! (but it’s not).

Wondering what you all think.
    Thanks and best regards

39FB57A9-EC0D-4C3D-81A7-9231216CA9E1.jpeg 8B7B2BEA-9741-48D8-9D7A-7BCC87606652.jpeg C73120F5-C089-4291-8237-F6B619463444.jpeg 97F276BE-69FE-4D3F-9948-EC47692BEB6B.jpeg 35046492-A4B2-4BB9-A152-C1CDB4632E06.jpeg 63904321-5DA1-4B0D-A2DF-4B34C2A3AF8C.jpeg 885B384A-53E4-4EE6-B407-6C5A6F6A8C53.jpeg
    Vitezi, Buster, jaguar11 and 14 others like this.
  2. 77deluxe Apr 21, 2018

Though not issued, it appears as if someone in the military wore it in a sword battle. Despite the scars, very sharp watch.

Kmart, ConElPueblo, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  3. adi4 Apr 21, 2018

That's no ugly duckling at all, looks quite nice!

My guess is that somebody put it in a vice or something to try to get the case back off?

noelekal, Syrte and 77deluxe like this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 21, 2018

Those bridges are IWC-esque. A lovely watch overall with some interesting history @Syrte :>

Syrte likes this.
  5. Canuck Apr 21, 2018

In the one picture of the movement, the edge of the case back around the opening for the movement looks to me like a brass case, chrome or nickel plated. Many of the Bulova Watertite models are in a front loader on which there is no removable case back these watches have a split stem, the crystal is a press fit over a flange machined on the top of the canister the movement fits into, then the bezel is a press fit over the crystal. The case I describe is usually all steel. I have reason to wonder if the case on the subject watch is original to the movement.both the movement and the case are missing the usual symbol or numerals for the year of production. I have a Watertite model in my stash, somewhere. If I can find it, I’ll post a picture.

Syrte likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Thank you for the kind words dear gents.
    This is an interesting theory — I don’t know enough to say but it sounds very plausible. More than the knife sharpening thing, which did have its sort of heroic feel to it. I could imagine someone in the woods preparing to take on a bear or something. :D

adi4 likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 21, 2018

The metal looks parkerized. A process used to coat steel and make it somewhat less rust prone. popular during the war oddly enough.

My WW2 Elgin and my late 50s USAF Bulova both wear that finish.

Vitezi, Archer and Syrte like this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Thanks for your input. The case isn’t signed Bulova but « Watch Case Co » so plausibly not original to the movement. However since I don’t see any signs of plating I was wondering whether it could be base metal, or some solid alloy which doesn’t involve any layering. I don’t know enough unfortunately.

A pretty watch but alas probably not worth the service I suspect it may need. The balance is a bit sluggish and that speed lever is pushed pretty far.

Thanks C for the suggestion, however in real life the surface and color don’t have the even-ness / uniformity of a parkerized finish (those are great). Strangely looks like patina on a steel case.

Edited Apr 21, 2018
  9. gostang9 Apr 21, 2018

I have no relevant vintage like most others here, but I think you have a great taste and I would love for my daughter to spend an afternoon with you so she could see your collection and learn about watches... when I talk about watches, her eyes gloss over with boredom and disinterest, I suspect with you and your knowledge/style/taste, she might discover an interest.

Syrte and noelekal like this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Your compliments are very flattering, but to be fair not so long ago I would have been equally bored.
    She has many years ahead to find her own path. And you never know what actually sinks in that you don’t suspect.
    Finally, does she really need watches in her life? She might be busy with more important things.

Edited Apr 21, 2018
  11. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 21, 2018

Not quite father and daughter stories, as I have no children myself; however, whilst running my vintage markets stall:

* A schoolgirl came by one day to have a look at what I had after her father had been browsing and was off with her brothers. The one that she liked wasn't running, so I gave her a little Record jewelry watch for free. She quite happily went off to show her brothers, with the bracelet up around her arm :thumbsup: Her father was quite interested too and started talking to her about how she had to take care of a manual wind watch...

* I've given some quartz watches to children for free if they show interest in wearing it. I tried doing the same for a young boy whose father was looking for a watch for him. They picked a Timex Marathon and the father felt like he couldn't just walk away without giving me something! I believe more than anything else the fact that the child enjoyed pushing all the buttons, saying the numbers 1-12 as they were looking at the watch was worth more than any money...

This is among the crowd of many more people and children who simply have a quick look, think "Oh there's watches here" and move on...

Syrte likes this.
  12. gostang9 Apr 21, 2018

Very true, she doesn’t need watches, much like she doesn’t ‘need’ anything more than she already has. My hope for her to find a passion for watches is purely selfish in my part. I struggle to find common interests with her, and this seems like a decent intersection as she’s into a fashion all her own (she wears formal outfits to school at 13 years old when none of her other friends do, and she had a ‘vintage’ themed 13th birthday party). As a father of an only child who happens to be a daughter, I like the idea of finding something she and I can share. (Side note: we both started taking guitar lessons last summer, so that is one thing we have..). :)

michael22, GuiltyBoomerang and Syrte like this.
  13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Aren’t you in the Detroit area? If you want to share experiences which will be formative in terms of taste, here are suggested outings:
    Detroit Art Museum with Diego Rivera frescoe at the center, and the decorative arts gallery in the Museum (beautiful furniture).
    -that school with the design stuff and Eames stuff in Birmingham.
    - car ride around the crazy fancy neighborhoods that line that road that went from the lake up to the suburbs and formed one of the main arteries along the old Ford factories IIRC.
    - take her to Chicago- take the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour of Frank Lloyd Wright houses in Oak Park.
    Just my 2 cents worth. At least that’s how I get to the watches I like.

14. gostang9 Apr 21, 2018

You are correct, we are directly across the border from Detroit. We go to chicago several times a year as my sister-in-law and her family live their. We’re going in June to catch Hamilton which my daughter really wants to see. She hasn’t shown much interest in architecture (yet), but she did research pieces she wanted to see at the Louvre and we made a special point as a family to seek them out when we went.

Anyhow, enough thread drift... back to “mysteries of the life of a watch”

Syrte likes this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 21, 2018

28MM?

I'd wear it even at 6' 3" with wrists near 8-inches around.

Wouldn't be some sort of aluminum alloy would it?

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Thanks B, it looks like 29mm, I'll have to measure it.
    Alas I have no expertise in alloys. I was wondering whether it might be base metal -whatever that is.

17. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 21, 2018

Base metal is one of, or a combination alloy of, iron, nickel, lead and or zinc. Compared to stainless steel, they oxidise/corrode a lot more quickly. The chrome/brass plating on this then gave it the appearance of steel or gold cap at a lower price.

We should restart the trend of wearing smaller watches.

21mm without crown, 22mm with. Bulova too :>

20180422_064150.jpg

18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 21, 2018

Looking at it again, maybe you're right..... beats me.

19. bubba48 Apr 21, 2018

Movement is from 1942

bulova mil  45 (7).jpg

20. michael22 Apr 21, 2018

Larry S and Syrte like this.