Forums Latest Members

My very tired Flightmaster Cal 910 (before restoration)

1. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

I started a WTB thread a couple of weeks ago wherein I was looking for a pristine Flightmaster Cal 910 complete with box and papers. Fast forward to today and my purchase of the following -- it's obviously less than pristine, but it's a Mk1 with yellow hands, and it appears to be a relatively unmolested example. Anyway, I'm pleased, and it will soon be on its way to Bienne for them to work their magic. I'll be sure to post photos of the finished item.

02.JPG
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2014

I wouldn't be sending it to Bienne tbh

3. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Why not, and where would you send it? I'm not fixed on Bienne.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 7, 2014

STS

5. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Smirk to self? Why? I don't follow ...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2014

Swiss Time Services, they're a good vintage restorer. Bienne have a habit of replacing a LOT of parts, you'll be surprised with what you get back.

7. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Ah, that makes more sense LOL

8. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Does it really matter if a lot of parts get replaced as long as those original parts are returned?

9. Gaz6263 Aug 7, 2014

Why by a vintage watch and then lose all the patina. You lose all the history and that look IMHO.

10. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Sure, but as long as the crystal and face and hands and pushers and crowns are returned they can always be reinstated. In other words, the "damage" is not irreversible. Of course, cleaning up the case and bracelet is a different matter. I haven't seen the watch in person yet, but I would hope that the face might clean-up somewhat.

11. Gaz6263 Aug 7, 2014

Your watch,your choice. Some love the old but running well look, others the NOS look. As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Which ever you choose great watch, I love mine.

12. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

That's right, and I appreciate patina as much as the next guy (some of the most beautiful vintage cars I've ever seen are the totally unrestored ones), but I'm pretty sure I'll take my Cal 910 as far as perfectly running with a very clean case, and the rest I'll play by ear once I actually see what I've got to work with.

13. flame Speedmaster Neil Aug 7, 2014

Hi

Here is my flightmaster after being Serviced by STS :)

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

propervinyl, Leona, TexOmega and 4 others like this.
  14. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

That looks very nice Neil. Other than the internals that we cannot see, which other parts were replaced? What kind of turnaround time did STS offer you?

15. flame Speedmaster Neil Aug 7, 2014

Hi

Thanks....I think we only replaced the crystal on this....left the original dial , handset , crown & pushers and case alone (retaining the original finish).

Completed in 3-4x weeks Max.

Best - Neil

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 7, 2014

If you are happy with a service dial and hands then you wont have a problem.

For me the heart of the watch is the dial, then the hands. Also on some flight masters the pushers are replaced by Bienne with different looking ones - i cannot remember exactly, but I remember reading that they do not have stocks of the original ones.

It is this patina that appeals to many, and while others may value (quite rightly) a mint example. one cannot get a mint example by returning a watch to Bienne and replacing parts because the parts are new.

Here is what I am talking about. Spot the Bienne restoration and the STS effort:
    new vs old.jpg

The one on the right was restored by Bienne, some time ago. The dial is an enigma, close spaced T SWISS T and painted logo. Along with the new hands, none of these replacements are valued by collectors today. The bezel is decades away. It is however a perfectly usable watch.

The decision is of course yours, and I make no judgement which way you go. As you point out, as long as you have all the old parts you can have your cake and eat it.

17. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

It looks great. My face looks as if most of the tritium has washed off ... pity ...

18. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Incidentally, rumour is that it's a one owner watch -- worn by the same guy for the last forty odd years. Cool ...

19. pascs Aug 7, 2014

A very nice 145.013, I like the character of these old dials :thumbsup:

Al has my 145.013 for service which I hope he'll be able to look at soon :)

20. BB512 Aug 7, 2014

Who's Al and will you post some pics when it's done?