Forums Latest Members

My very strange 1976 Seamaster Mariner II, please help!

1. LaCordobesa Jan 25, 2017

Good evening dear friends,
    I have noticed something very strange on my Seamaster Mariner II, as you can see from the images the dial is different from the usual one, the Omega sign on the left and the OMEGA logo on the bottom right are pretty smaller than the normal ones you may find everywhere on the internet, also in the very accurate article on TZ UK: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?117474-The-Omega-Seamaster-Quartz-Mariner-Saga-I-II-and-III
    How can it be possible? The case number is 196.0050 and the reference is ST 396.0838, so everything's OK.

Can it just be my eyes? I don't have another watch to compare...
    The first 2 images are from my actual watch, the other one is from a 1978 ad.

Due to the movement number 40 049221 it should be an early example, dating back at 1976, first yea rof production.
    Anyone can help me? Do you know other dials with smaller logos?

Please let me know, thank you very much in advance!

Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-Mariner-Ii-All-Original-In.jpg Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-Mariner-Ii-All-Original-In-_57.jpg IMG_6074.jpg
    redhed18 and Bogatir like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 25, 2017

paging @Tom Dick , please pick up the white courtesy phone.

DaveK, ahartfie and LaCordobesa like this.
  3. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 26, 2017

Ring ring.....ring ring.......................

Hellooooooooooo...........

phone.jpg

OK so, I am of two school of thought here, first school is a redial at some point in its life as the Seamaster script is also completely off for this model. Second school is thats its factory oddity, this did happen but not ordinarily with such distinct differences. I have (for example) seen and held a production Marine Chronometer (owned by a friend at the museum) which was special order for the CEO of Lemania and has firstly an orange and black dial. secondly is in a case with the plaque but no bezel and thirdly has 'observatory chronometer' instead of Marine Chronometer branding on the crystal!

That said if I was to make a call I would say re-dial at some point in it's life, I could be completely wrong and would gladly be corrected.

If it's of any help I am 95% sure I have a full spare dial and non working movement somewhere so PM me with your address and I will ping it over to you gratus

Cheers Tom

DaveK, Shabbaz, Wuza72 and 11 others like this.
  4. LaCordobesa Jan 26, 2017

Thank you a lot, Tom!
    It looks a bit strange to me making a re-dial on a "strange" and uncommon watch like this, it also looks like a dial that doesn't tend to fade away, but, anyway, my words only come from my deep ignorance and big passion. I can't find ANYWHERE on the internet not a single image of a dial like mine.

5. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 26, 2017

I completely agree but also lets not forget that whilst an 'oddity' these were at the time incredibly expensive watches so if someone had owned it and perhaps scratched it some years back but couldn't get another dial they may have had it restored.

Either way they are cool watches, as you can see from my profile image I own your watches 'big brother' and I love it, such an amazing piece of technology

Wear and enjoy and if you want that spare dial just for the sake of having one drop me a line and let me know

Best wishes Tom

Bogatir likes this.
  6. LaCordobesa Jan 26, 2017

Ho Tom, what do you mean when you say that "the Seamaster script is also completely off for this model"? Please explain me, I can see no differenece...

7. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 26, 2017

Your example

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 14.53.32.png
    Note the clumsy S that has a shape more akin to the 1950's Semaster script and the relatively clumsy printing of the rest of the word Seamster

Web example
    Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 14.54.32.png

Note the much more tradition (for the 1970's) rounded S and totally different and more consistent printing of the rest of the word Seamster, also note that in your example the tail of the R is much less defined than the tail of the R on other examples and your S and T do not join where as the others examples do

Best wishes Tom

8. LaCordobesa Jan 26, 2017

Thank you very much, now it's crystal clear. I've written you a PM.

9. Bogatir Jan 30, 2017

Hi and thanks for a great, great post! I love these watches, both for their brutalist design and delicate, complicated movements. I wonder about the bracelets though... are they the same (or interchangeable) for Mariner I and II (the models in the ad)?

10. Leswon Aug 28, 2019

20190713_144645.jpg Hi Tom ,Dick and Harry.Sorry just to barge in here but I have a 1976 seamaster as per pic.You guys have just brighten up my brain with all that knowledge.Thank you.Is this watch worth something to keep??mine got a wee bit water damage inside .How do I clean it??

Edited Aug 28, 2019
  11. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Aug 28, 2019

Well perhaps better to open your own thread. A wee bit of water damage is like a bit pregnant. Clean it means a full movement service or find a new movement....

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 28, 2019

@Tom Dick

13. Leswon Sep 5, 2019

Thank you Mark.