Forums Latest Members
  1. FEDYA Dec 11, 2013

Hi everybody,

I know that in the market there are a lot of fake "Connies" or pieces which are not considered as original anymore - due to several factors.

Basically I am writing here because I really would like to know more about the watch I have received - since the owner was unable to give me a lot of information about it. I have only been told that is gold capped (I do not know the "K " of the gold) over stainless steel case. It is from the 1954 (what he said), with the back case number 2782 - 6 SC and the serial number the cal. is 147 61 261 (cal. 354 BUMPER) - The strap is not original too.

From the picture is possible to see that it is really in good conditions indeed but I was wondering if it has been refurbished or not since I am not able to tell this.

I would be really grateful if you could confirm somehow its authenticity / value, since I am still able to return it.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Best,
    F.

IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2222.JPG
    ace likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2013

Hi there!

The dial has been refinished. That right there would have caused most collectors to move on to the next listing.

3. FEDYA Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for your reply.

4. Hijak Dec 11, 2013

That's a shame because otherwise it looks like a nice watch.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2013

If you do like it its fine for daily wear, its just that if you're in the return window still and you want value for your money you're better off holding out for an all original piece, as many redials as there are out there, original pieces are also always available.

FEDYA likes this.
  6. Dablitzer Dec 11, 2013

I think it's fine for a daily wearer, If it is returnable, id seek some guidance on here. I love these textured Connies :thumbsup:

7. Lex4TDI4Life Dec 11, 2013

That case is pretty nice. If you got it for a real good deal, I would consider keeping it, wearing it and watching out for a donor dial on the 'bay.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2013

A nice watch to wear, if you liked it before you came here, then just enjoy it.

9. FEDYA Dec 12, 2013

in your opinion which is a good deal for this refreshed piece?

10. John R Smith Dec 12, 2013

If the seller described the watch as having an "original dial", then you have the perfect grounds for returning it, no matter what the price. In the UK these early gold-capped Constellations often make around £1,000 to £1,2000, depending on condition. I personally would not pay any money at all for this example, as it is a really poor re-dial which is very obvious and would make it very difficult to sell in the future, and finding a good mint condition dial from this era to replace it with would be next to impossible. As your knowledge and discernment grow (and this will happen, as you get more interested) you will become increasingly dissatisfied with this watch and you will wish that you had never bought it. And then you will find that you will have to virtually give it away to get rid of it.

Everybody here (because they are kind souls) is trying to say nice things and not make you feel too bad about it. But rest assured, none of them would have bought this watch (unless they had a spare dial sitting in their parts box ;) ). My advice would be - if you can send it back and get a refund, don't hesitate. Do it now.

agee and Tritium like this.
  11. FEDYA Dec 12, 2013

Thank you so much guys for your "polite" feedbacks. You are really kind indeed!

And thanks John R Smith for your polite and honest feedback. At the end I followed your advice and I returned it.

As Dablitzer advised me, I will seek some guidance here for my next purchase.

Tritium likes this.
  12. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2013

Glad to hear you can return it.

And as far as mistakes when buying your first Constellation, you didn't do as bad as some of us. Somebody would have to intentionally try to buy a complete dud to beat my first foray into this territory.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/post-your-1st-vintage-omega.4040/#post-46633

:eek:

Horrid redial, 562 date caliber inside a 14.381 non-date case that was over polished, crappy replacement crown, and broken BoR bracelet. Yeah, I don't do anything half assed. :p

13. agee Dec 12, 2013

I agree with John R Smith above -having made this same error myself on my first big Omega purchase
    Good decision returning the watch
    IMO
    In the interest of helping/educating FEDYA someone should please explain what the tell tale signs are of a redone dial- so that a new collector will hopefully avoid the same mistake next time

14. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2013

The glaring sign is the SWISS MADE being so high. Take a look in the WRUW thread and you'll see a nice group of 50's Constellations, some nearly identical to the one in the first post's link, that are completely original.

15. FEDYA Dec 12, 2013

16. Hijak Dec 12, 2013

Here's a similar one.
    Wrist Shot, 2.JPG

Omega Constellation A. M. Ref. 2852 Cal. 501, 13.JPG

FEDYA likes this.