Forums Latest Members

My Twin 1968's Seperated At Birth Finally Reunited....

1. TLIGuy Mar 25, 2013

My second 1968 Speedmaster has arrived and has been reunited with its older brother.

There was a little bit of discussion about this very watch in the ebay auction thread. I had been watching the auction with great interest and contacted the seller who is regular poster on some other forums. He was kind enough to work a nice deal with me for which I'm truly grateful.

The talk in the ebay auction thread was focused on the hands and if they were original to the watch. I have just returned from my local watch guy and he is 99% sure they are original to the watch. Upon inspection the lume in the hands and the chronoraph second hand almost perfectly match the lume on the dial. Also, the large minute hand shows some sign of degrading and under great magnification some of the lume has been lost exposing the dial through it.

The lack of movement images in the auction raised questions as well along with the style of chronoraph hand on the dial. My first 1968 Speedmaster has a movement number of 2655531X. This watch has a movement number of 2655369X which I think makes it possible that this watch and hands could fall into that gray area of parts bin assembly. I know it can be debated but I'm going to go with this theory.

Anyway, the watch is now mine and is in stunning condition. The case and caseback are unpolished along with the original crystal, pushers, and crown. Lastly the bezel is dot over 90 and is one the best condition ones I have seen with no chipping of paint, dings, or dents.

How about a warm welcome....The older brother 2655369X

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The younger sibling 2655531X

[​IMG]

photo500, Mothra and SpikiSpikester like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Well you have already read our views. The watch was a good acquisition, regardless of the hands. All that matters is that you are happy with the watch.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  3. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 25, 2013

see if they glow brighter or longer than the markers on the dial

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Very nice. That ebay watch was very tempting - glad it turned out well for you. :thumbsup:

The 26M serial numbers are right for 1968. Isnardi's book has a pic of a 1968 with the cal 321 style hand, a pre-moon 1969 with the same hands & a post moon 1969 with the flat base chrono second hand. AJTT also has pics of two 1969 watches with both style hands. So, both style hands could be legitimate for 1968/9.

I'd be interested to see what George thinks ::book::

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Looks great on the JB-Champion bracelet mate!

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 25, 2013

To start off it is a lovely watch and congrats! The serial, dial and bezel are all correct for this watch but being all original to that specific movement and in that condition would be indeed a rare find. I want to state I am more versed in modern Omegas but I believe the hands are not correct. Though they may be Omega parts the style usually seen on a transitional is the current flat bottom and smaller tip. Regardless I may stand corrected but that is what I can tell.

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 25, 2013

I wanted to add I have seen a 68 cal 321 with that hand but never a 68 cal 861.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. TLIGuy Mar 25, 2013

Truly appreciate all the input. This a quick yet very informative learning curve for me.

Not that this would be the definitive test but I did hold the watch up to the light for a minute and them observed the lume in total darkness. It appears that the dial markers glow a bit brighter than the hands but it is only by a shade or two. Both the hands and markers lume dissipates at the same time.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 26, 2013

That's a good thing. Means hands are tritium(if glow on dial and hands is brief)
    I almost bought that watch but I couldn't find a watch of that era with that
    style minute and hour hand points. Do some research, and as achim said
    if you want you could find the more common style easily. Watch is in
    great shape. Enjoy