My trip to Tokyo, new speedy!

Work sent me to Tokyo two weeks ago, and a few of the group are watch folks, so we took a day to check out the Nakano watch scene. I, being a bit of a chronograph/GMT addict (I'm now up to 4 chronos [all Omega], 3 GMTs [Longines + 2 Rolex), and a Railmaster...) wasn't particularly interested in any of the Japanese branded watches, but was curious about the Tokyo 2020 LE Speedys.

The VERY first shop we walked into, in the 2nd center display case had this watch in it, for what ended up being <$5200 after import duties. We spent the day checking out a ton of stores (including a speedmaster ONLY store, plus Jackroad!). I managed to find all 5 of the Tokyo Speedmasters, a bunch of the Apollo/Gemini watches, a Snoopy, an Alaska Project, and the new all-white Speedmaster!

I was told pictures are discouraged, so I didn't end up taking any. At the end of the day, the black/gold Speedmaster was by far my favorite, and effectively love at first sight. I went back to the first store, (where it was at least $1500 cheaper than everywhere else!) and walked out with this beauty.

2021 warranty card, but absolutely flawless with the absolute complete set. I wouldn't be shocked if I was the first one to try it on! It has the 'quick adjust' bracelet, which is absolutely cool, my other Speedmaster did not come with the adjustable clasp.

Anyway, I found it kind of funny that perhaps the 2nd watch I saw on our trip is the one I went home with 馃榾

Congratulations, this is a stunner of a piece that I have admired myself!

Work sent me to Tokyo two weeks ago, and a few of the group are watch folks, so we took a day to check out the Nakano watch scene. I, being a bit of a chronograph/GMT addict (I'm now up to 4 chronos [all Omega], 3 GMTs [Longines + 2 Rolex), and a Railmaster...) wasn't particularly interested in any of the Japanese branded watches, but was curious about the Tokyo 2020 LE Speedys.

The VERY first shop we walked into, in the 2nd center display case had this watch in it, for what ended up being <$5200 after import duties. We spent the day checking out a ton of stores (including a speedmaster ONLY store, plus Jackroad!). I managed to find all 5 of the Tokyo Speedmasters, a bunch of the Apollo/Gemini watches, a Snoopy, an Alaska Project, and the new all-white Speedmaster!

I was told pictures are discouraged, so I didn't end up taking any. At the end of the day, the black/gold Speedmaster was by far my favorite, and effectively love at first sight. I went back to the first store, (where it was at least $1500 cheaper than everywhere else!) and walked out with this beauty.

2021 warranty card, but absolutely flawless with the absolute complete set. I wouldn't be shocked if I was the first one to try it on! It has the 'quick adjust' bracelet, which is absolutely cool, my other Speedmaster did not come with the adjustable clasp.

Anyway, I found it kind of funny that perhaps the 2nd watch I saw on our trip is the one I went home with 馃榾
Very nice diversion to grab this on a business trip & a killer price to boot! Enjoy!

Very nice diversion to grab this on a business trip & a killer price to boot! Enjoy!
Even better, my wife came along for part of the trip, so I got to 'use' part of her customs allotment, so import duties were only ~$160.

Congrats! I checked out Nakano Broadway for the first time last year, and remember that one of the standout deals was for one of these black and gold Tokyo speedies.

Very nice! What a fun way to spend a trip.
I have Deep Purple's "My Woman from Tokyo" playing in my head now.

Very nice and congrats! That鈥檚 cool to pick up a watch on a trip like that and even better to get a good deal!

Congrats! The Tokyos are my favorite Speedmasters so must have been awesome to get to see each of them in person

Congrats! The Tokyos are my favorite Speedmasters so must have been awesome to get to see each of them in person
Thanks! And I agree! I definitely was impressed by the Tokyo models. Unfortunately no single store had all 5, but after a few hours of looking I found all 5.

I thought the Red bezel (with the grey dial) was a little plain, the bezel insert was really cool, but the bracelet/case/dial all looked too similar, so I shied away from that.

The Blue bezel/dial was actually pretty underwhelming unfortunately. It is still really attractive, but the blue was kind of muted, so I gave up on that one pretty early.

Black/white I really loved, and was probably my second favorite. It is a great color scheme that fits the Speedmaster design really well, I'm shocked it isn't way more popular.

I went in expecting to really like the Green/rose gold model. Unfortunately, it was kind of a let down, and one of my least favorites! The green + gold IS great, but the dial lets it down. It has the same dial problems as the 'red' (grey looks too much like the bracelet/case), and the hands/indices, and subdial surrounds were too low contrast.

The Black/Gold struck me immediately though. As I mentioned, it was basically the first watch (of all kinds!) I saw all day, and the gold vs black contrast REALLY stood out. It gives the subdials a ton of extra character, and the gold pushers/crown are a great contrast as well. It ends up being a good amount 'flashy' without being overly so. I'm definitely a huge fan!

That said, all 5 are fantastic watches. 2-3 of them are, IMO, some of the most attractive modified speedmasters (4 of the 5 better than Snoopy IMO), and I'm amazed they aren't way more popular.