Forums Latest Members

My thoughts are with the wonderful people of New Zealand

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 13, 2016

My wife and I visited this past February. A magical place of friendly people, whales, seals, majestic mountain ranges, Hobbit movie landscapes and lots and lots of sheep. Unfortunately, NZ gets more than it's share of earthquakes and today was another.

We visited cities such as Christchurch and Wellington and the whale watching paradise called Kaikoura on the South Island. All three places suffered some damage and, most regretably, there was some loss of life.
    The Kiwi's are a very tough bunch and no doubt, will continue to rebuild under the stickiest anti-earthquake structural building codes in the world. I recommend a trip there to all and I am looking forward to returning,

Wellington. The capital of New Zealand. Located at the southern tip of the North Island.
    IMG_2267.JPG

A 30 mile channel separates North and South Island. We took the ferry.
    IMG_2293.JPG

There are 1 million human residents on the South Island. I think the seals are in the majority.
    IMG_2336.JPG

Looking out from the coast road on the way to Kaikoura. It got beat up a bit today.
    IMG_2341.JPG

Kaikoura is one of the finest Whale Watching destinations in the world.
    IMG_2352.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

This Orca prefers to swim with the dolphins.......instead of eating them.
    IMG_2434.JPG IMG_2437.JPG

Edited Nov 13, 2016
    dialstatic, Jwit, khmt2 and 12 others like this.
  2. boat2dan Nov 13, 2016

I second your remarks. Thoughts and prayers to the people who suffered!

Riviera Paradise and JohnSteed like this.
  3. werc2 Nov 13, 2016

Thanks! located in NZ here - all is well with our friends and family in the South Island. Thanks for your kind words.

Riviera Paradise and gemini4 like this.
  4. CdnWatchDoc Nov 13, 2016

New Zealanders have had a rough go with earthquakes, the last major one in 2011. I have a friend and medical colleague who lives in Christchurch, but has been visiting family here for the last few weeks-he is rushing back to see what he can do. Agree, thoughts and prayers for all!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. JohnSteed Nov 13, 2016

Here here

6. JohnSteed Nov 13, 2016

Here here

7. JohnSteed Nov 13, 2016

Here here

8. Riviera Paradise Nov 15, 2016

I visited lovely NZ with family this August, on the way back from Australia... but only the North Island. Kiwis made us feel very much at home! We wish you all the best during this difficult time.

9. isaac.owen.nz Nov 16, 2016

Mum said they were woken up in Wellington, a few hundred kms from the centre of the quake, house shaking and lights and frames fallen over, dog freaking out.
    Thankfully it didn't hit kaikoura in a couple months when the tourist season would be in full swing and not a major centre like the 2011 quake in Christchurch.
    Was upgraded to a 7.8 recently, that's a pretty major shake!

Edit;
    Dont worry, all the important stuff is safe:
    http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11749435

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  10. ncstate1201 Nov 18, 2016

I was traveling for work and it is a bit odd I missed this story on the news and caught up here on the boards. I have quite a few friends from the area here in the states. I will definitely have them in mind. Great pics and stories, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the beauty of NZ.

11. Hammers Nov 19, 2016

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Resident in NZ now for 14 years, indeed citizen for 11 years now, and easy to say earthquake risk is the ONLY reason I would ever contemplate moving. kiwis are a tough resilient bunch, brought up understanding the risk of quakes, still doesn't make it easy with a quake this size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. fnfz4 Nov 20, 2016

Beautiful Country

13. Vitezi Nov 22, 2016

Some impressive aerial footage of the fault line: