Forums Latest Members
  1. SwissDaughter Oct 8, 2013

My wonderful dad died last year and he was 96 years young. He was born and raised in St. Moritz and then worked in NYC at the 1939 World's Fair and Sun Valley, ID before joining the war effort as a military intelligence operative. Most of his career was spent in Germany, Austria, and France with a few detours to Panama, Ecuador, Baltimore and Ft. Huachuca, AZ. But all his life, he remained Swiss through and through. As you can imagine, Swiss cheeses, chocolates, trains, and watches were the ONLY top quality items of their kind. This is his beloved vintage Omega Constellation that he wore for many, many years. If I had to guess, he probably got it before we moved to Baltimore in 1960 or after we returned to Germany in 1965. My sisters and I know nothing about this watch except it lived on his wrist and went through many bands until he finally put it aside when it stopped working sometime in the last 15 years. I have searched the Omega vintage watch sites and can find nothing that looks like it. I am assuming the crown has been replaced and the back; it has R708 scratched onto it. Knowing how clumsy he was, I am guessing the crystal has been replaced too. Is it worth opening and seeing what the watch says inside? Is it worth fixing? All the grandchildren are girls so we are considering selling it but don't know how to value it and where to sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

photo-1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2013

some experts will come along shortly, however I would start by saying:
    - chances are it can be fixed by a good independent watchmaker. where do you live, and people will be able to recommend somewhere. depending on the condition, it may only cost a few hundred $.
    - the observatory logo (that was solid gold) has been removed from the back. this SIGNIFICANTLY reduces its financial value (but obviously not its sentimental value), so it probably not worth selling.
    - if the case is opened (any jeweler could do this) and you take good photos of the movement, we will be able to tell you an approx year it was purchased, and in what sort of condition the movement is in (which will drive the cost of repairs)

SwissDaughter likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 8, 2013

I agree with the above, but I'd try to find a "watchmaker" jeweller rather than the battery changer in the local mall.

I reckon the gold medallion from the back of the watch was prised of with a survival knife by your Dad when he was in a sticky situation in Panama or Ecuador and need the gold to pay the local guide to get him to the safe house ;)

4. SwissDaughter Oct 8, 2013

Thanks so much! I will have it opened and spots pictures of the inside. That's a great idea. I live in Tucson, AZ but could travel to Phoenix if necessary. The comment about needing the gold on the back is exactly the type of story my dad would have hinted at but then said we didn't have the proper clearance for details. :)

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 8, 2013

in the US, we would recommend member N2FHL (Steve)
    a number of us have used him for wathc repairs. He is in NJ.

6. SwissDaughter Oct 8, 2013

Thank you I appreciate that info

7. ulackfocus Oct 8, 2013

Steve has serviced the bulk of my watches. :thumbsup: (including my Vacheron)

8. Sherbie Oct 9, 2013

I strongly recommend keeping the watch in the family - even though this is a mans watch, its a small mans watch(by todays standards) and girls are now wearing vintage mens watches - this will look great on a leather strap, colour of your choice

and who,s to say the next generation wont be boys anyway?

Varasc likes this.
  9. SwissDaughter Oct 9, 2013

I hadn't considered that. Thx for the input. We'll definitely discuss it. I'm very sentimental with my dad's things anyway. :)

10. Varasc Oct 9, 2013

Very sorry for your loss.

11. SwissDaughter Oct 9, 2013

Thank you. I miss him every day.

12. Varasc Oct 9, 2013

Dear Milady,

I strongly recommend you to keep this beautiful watch with you. This is a memory of a loved person, and whatever money cost it may reach, it would never cover its sentimental value. I heired an Omega Seamaster Cosmic from my granddad, passed away when I was only four, and I would never - never, never, never - consider selling this watch. It's just more than a watch, is the strong and still existing memory of a brave and good person, sadly lost and still missing; I am proud when wearing it. In spite of all the crisis and financial problems we may experience, few things are still invaluable.

Kindest regards and still many condolences for your loss.

Marco

13. SwissDaughter Oct 9, 2013

I very much appreciate your kind words again. My father was a sentimental only child who kept much of his parents' items. I am the daughter who moved close with my husband and children to care for my parents in their old age, so I have the majority of my grandparents' items and now my parents' items overwhelming my own home. My brother, sisters and I have chosen what we have the strongest memories of and also allowing the grandchildren to have what they want. If an item has more monetary value than sentimental value, we are trying to sell it and the money goes into an account to buy airline tickets to bring us together for reunions - from Geneva, Florida, Virginia and Arizona....exactly what my parents loved most! :)