Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

I purchased a 1st Speedmaster Pro, and will post more pics soon. Weather currently is dark and gloomy, so not sure how well pics will turn out.

WP_20170108_09_57_56_Pro.jpg
    It is 142.022-69. I will have few questions when I post more pics, but for now just 1.

I would her up last night fully, until crown stopped winding. Left it to see what will transpire, and this is what happened:

It worked fine for 8 hours, and then it stopped. Since it should be around 40 hour reserve, this is not right. Strange thing to me is, that when I start the chrono hand, seconds hand starts moving again. Seconds hand moves for exactly 60 seconds and then stops in exact same spot it stopped before. I wound the watch up again and it only went 14 or so turn before it was fully wound (1st time I wound it, it went about 70 turns). Is this a big issue, or something that regular service should fix?

Thanks for the hep, and sorry about real crappy pic.

Etp095 and voere like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2017

Congrats. Looks nice! Service should fix it up I imagine.

watch3s, cvrle1 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. mr_yossarian Jan 8, 2017

All I can say is: in desperat need for a sercive then. Your watchmaker should be able to tell you precisely what's wrong. That's where this Baby belongs asap.

cvrle1 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

Thanks both. I contacted seller just to let him know what is going on. He mentioned that service was done last week, so that looks like it was not the case. I will try to take some better pics with proper camera, as cell phone one is having hard time capturing lume color properly and so on. Just hope that this is not an expensive issue to fix, as then it will go back.

5. Davidt Jan 8, 2017

Nice bezel. I'm assuming a later -69, above 31,5xx xxx? Is the dial stepped? It's hard to see in the pics.

watch3s likes this.
  6. ac106 Jan 8, 2017

whenever I see an ad on eBay or wherever that says "recently serviced" and there isn't a pic of the receipt I automatically assume the seller is lying and then I think about what else he is lying about and then I usually close the ad

7. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

Serial is 31.32x.xxx Yes it is stepped dial. It is not straight writing caseback.

Davidt likes this.
  8. ChrisN Jan 8, 2017

Is the picture showing the time it stops?

If so, I'd suspect from your description of the way it starts and stops that the continuous seconds hand is catching the hour hand. This is is why you can't wind it very much now as it is only partially run down. The movement is blocked.

Seems unlikely it was serviced and only run for a few hours as you need to check the power reserve but, I suppose it could have been knocked and the continuous seconds hand has moved slightly - it may not be perfectly tight on it's pinion. Anyway, back to the Watchmaker...

Cheers, Chris

TNTwatch, Archer and cvrle1 like this.
  9. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

Thanks Chris. Yes, that pic showed exact position when the time stopped. When I wound it again (when i posted my OP), I moved the hands to 8:05, and so far it is working fine for last 30 min. Will see what happens when hands get to similar position in 10 min. I guess it is possible that something got moved during shipping. Who knows.

10. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

I think Chris might be onto something in regards to seconds catching the hour hand. It stopped in this spot now

IMG_20170108_120618.jpg

When I picked it up and moved it sideways, seconds started to move. It moved for 1 full minute and stopped in exact same spot. Started chrono and chrono hand moved 2 seconds and stopped. Once I reset the chrono, seconds hand started to move once more. Again, 60 seconds, and then stops in same spot.

Will take it in to watch maker tomorrow and see what they say. Closed today unfortunately, so will have to wait. Will leave the watch alone till then, so that I dont perhaps make things even worse.

Thanks again everyone for help and info.

11. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2017

Why even put me in the title?

12. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

You hate all these speedmaster threads, so I wanted to apologize in advance of creating yet another one. Meant no disrespect. Title changed.

13. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2017

No, it doesn't hurt me one bit. The whiny Fan Boys complain to the forum owners that I bust their fragile chops too much. Attracting my attention to yet another f::censored::king Speedster thread is asking for more when their poor widdle feelings are already hurt, and they've already threatened to take their ball and go home.

crying-baby-istock660.jpg

Believe me, at this point I don't want to be bothered with them, and they don't want to be bothered by me - so STOP calling me to Speedmaster threads, either with my screen name in the title or putting up my Bat Signal (meaning @ulackfocus) in the body of your posts.

This has been a public service announcement.

watch3s and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  14. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

Sorry, didnt know things were that bad. Like I said I meant no disrespect towards you.

15. mr_yossarian Jan 8, 2017

I'd never do that, none of it, no whining, no Bat Signal, no calling names. Hey, and I'm virtually new here, hence didn't realize this really is your weak spot. :)

16. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

Was able to snap several pics, so here they are. Still playing around with this camera, so colors aren't as good as they should be.

CRW_0982.jpg CRW_0991.jpg CRW_0992.jpg CRW_0993.jpg CRW_0997.jpg CRW_1000.jpg CRW_1002.jpg CRW_1003.jpg CRW_1004.jpg CRW_1005.jpg CRW_1006.jpg

I tried to get a closeup of the lume, but so far no dice. Need to use loupe, as I am curious to get confirmation if it is original. or relume. I believe it is original, but of course, what do I know. When I did the light test, it was glowing for about 45 seconds, then it went dim more and more. After 1:30 I could still see it, but really had to focus eyes in order to see it. After about 2 min, it was done.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2017

18. cvrle1 Jan 8, 2017

I havent seen sunlight in this bloody city for last few months lol. I almost forgot what it looks like. I was hoping there would be some today, but nope, we got rain. There should be some sun come tuesday, so unless that changes I will snap some outside then for sure and post up.

As for the easy macro, I was using a point and shoot camera, but will give that a look for the cell phone and try then. Was hunting for one of those (not related to watches).

Thanks

PS: Thanks to mods who changed the title. Appreciated :)

19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 8, 2017

I recently acquired a pawn shop Speedie that was running a minute and then stopping. No joke, watchmaker looked inside and pulled out a small piece of hair from the movement.

Service the watch.

watch3s, Etp095, Vicke and 1 other person like this.
  20. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2017

No problem - and it's not your fault so no disrespect taken.

It's not my weak spot. I enjoy busting balls and having my balls busted in return. It was the whiny Speedmaster wussies who did the complaining and stormed off in a hissy fit.

ps - You can call me any name in the book. I probably deserve it!

mr_yossarian and cvrle1 like this.