Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 1, 2014

I'm sure many of you have too many watches to post this sort of photo, but I always take one of my entire collection (gathering is probably a more accurate term, as I don't consider myself a collector with a particular focus) near the end of each year to document the changes. Changes are slow in my collection though...

[​IMG]

The Speedmaster and Nomos are additions, and none have left the fold this year. One is missing, but it is in Glashütte being serviced:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Als 27, cicindela, Hijak and 4 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

A nice set to round out 2013

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

Regular or unscheduled service?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 1, 2014

2 days after I took that photo, after we had returned to Frankfurt, the watch stopped when fully wound. I guess it was home sick after a short visit to it's birth place.

It was due for a service, so this was not a surprise.

Cheers, Al

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 1, 2014

Very nice. You are definitely a collector- its just a matter of defining your focus. Looks to me that your focus is watches on straps... ;)

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

I was going to say, watches of European origin :D

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2014

Thanks guys - well there is one US made Bulova in there, the small rectangular watch - it was my grandfather's watch. And yes, I vastly prefer straps to bracelets. :)

Cheers, Al

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 2, 2014

Al, the Bulova was my favorite, bet it might be yours too. What is that other gold dress watch?

9. ulackfocus Jan 2, 2014

Love those classic tonneau Bulovas from the 40's and 50's!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 2, 2014

That one is my late father's "everyday" watch. It's just a store brand - chain of jewelry stores we have here called Young's. My recollection is that it has an AS movement inside but I can't remember which one specifically. I brought both of these back to life some time ago. I rarely ever wear the Bulova, but it's one I would never get rid of. I wear my dad's watch more often.

Here is the Young's watch before I serviced it:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

And my grandfather's watch was a mess to start with - redial was really the only option here:

[​IMG]

And after I restored it - one of these days I'll look for a second hand for it - I'm sure I have one here, just never seem to have time to look for it:

[​IMG]

I know many here would not want it looking new, but it was in such bad shape I went all out with that one.

Cheers, Al