Forums Latest Members
  1. LemansBoiler Jan 18, 2016

Been reading the forum for several months, first real post so I'll introduce myself.

My name is Eric, I'm a 31 year old design engineer living in Indiana. I've been a massive fan of Speedmaster Professionals since college. I went to Purdue University, alma mater of 23 astronauts, and always enjoyed watch spotting when they'd come back to campus.

We had our first child towards the end of 2015. Shortly after he was born my dad sat down with me and said "I'd like to buy Isaiah an Omega, would you mind taking care of it for a couple of years?". I was over the moon...get it? I'm planning on taking a picture of him and the watch at least every year until he's ready for it (high school graduation, college graduation, wedding, etc).

2016 01 15 Isaiah_9 week.JPG

We picked it up at the boutique in Oak Brook, IL. Great experience, the service was wonderful and the employees were passionate about Omegas. I would absolutely buy from them again.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I've worn it nearly every day to work since bringing it home. If I'm honest, I was nervous about wearing it into such a conservative engineering department but I'm happy to say that no one notices it. Others may disagree, but for me, this is one of the best compliments of a nice watch. It seems to class up any outfit and yet not show off.

IMG_2177.JPG

I know you gents like pictures so I'll continue with some that you've probably all seen a hundred times.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG

I also jumped on the NATO bandwagon. If I'm going to wear the watch everyday, I'd prefer not to ding up the bracelet. I purchased 5 straps off of www.cheapestnatostaps.com.

IMG_2292.JPG

First impressions of the straps mirror what others have said. The nylon straps are certainly rougher than the Omega strap. The manager at the boutique mentioned that he has a couple of these and that they've scratched the back of his Speedmaster so I plan to put tape on the watch before wearing them. The surprise was the length, as you can see they are considerably shorter (~1 3/8"). I have skinny wrists so it's not an issue but I could see others possibly having issues. The leather straps are also very nice and look great. I've worn each of them 3-4 times and they are starting to stretch a bit and show some wear, which looks terrific.

If you're interested, here are the exact straps shown above:
    http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/brushed-premium-nato-strap-gray?variant=812838105
    http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/premium-nato-strap-olive-green-18-mm-20-mm-22-mm?variant=787284785
    http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/leather-zulu-strap-chocolate-brown20-mm-22-mm-24-mm?variant=275772680
    http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/leather-nato-strap-ny4?variant=6132670405
    http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/nato-strap-red-18-20-mm?variant=211477541

Edited Feb 4, 2016
  2. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 18, 2016

Cool! Enjoy taking care of your son's Speedy

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 18, 2016

Great story! And your son is already wearing it like the astronauts did!

You may want to consider getting another though. How will you ever part with this in 15-20 years time? ;)

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 18, 2016

Lookin' good, little man! Since the watch is depth rated to 50m, it should stand up well to a little drool from time to time. Congratulations to all!

Khamenman and LemansBoiler like this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 18, 2016

That's great! My son was born in 2013 and unfortunately his Speedy is a 2015. I think an annual photo is a nice idea, and you started off with a 'glancing towards the heavens' look that really will set the tone for the photo collection.

Moonwatch78 likes this.
  6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 18, 2016

Be careful when he starts walking. My son grabbed my datejust off of my night table and it was GONE for 6 months. Finally reappeared, inside a toy, at the bottom of his toy chest.

That was in the 1990. Things haven't changed much. He still takes watches from me. :)

7. emilio Jan 18, 2016

Awesome story!

8. joerg Jan 18, 2016

Cool story. I also bought a Speedy for my son in 2004. so time is ticking. But I forgot to shoot pics with him and the watch...

Btw: you can refresh the steel bracelet for little money. I paid 75€/$ last year. So just wear the watch as you like! May be your son will aprreciate your signs of wear!

gttime and Tritium like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2016

Obivously your dad is the one with the most common sense in the family, as your mom did not know when to stop feeding you ;)

RawArcher and LemansBoiler like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 18, 2016

Now you just need to find that kid an Omega onesie to go with his watch. :D

11. marturx Jan 18, 2016

Cute kid!

That speedy goes very well outside his rocket kick-suit :D

Congrats to the both of you, very enjoyable write-up :thumbsup:

12. flw history nerd Jan 18, 2016

Terrific story, great pics ... and most importantly, what an adorable kid!! :thumbsup:

Jhh834 likes this.
  13. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jan 18, 2016

He's got two wrists you know - so don't be stingy: get him a Tintin Speedy for his second birthday as that would go well with that nice rocket suit. Wishing you and the little chap all the best and happy Speedy ownership.

14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 18, 2016

Great story and an absolutely adorable baby. Congrats first on being a Dad and 2nd for a great watch.

15. Tritium Jan 18, 2016

Great introduction and story.
    I did the same with a nos 70's ladies seamaster that I inherited and I'm taking care for my daughter. Fortunately for her, it looks tiny on my wrist, so see will be the first one to wear it! Here's her first wristshot three years ago:
    image.jpeg
    Enjoy the speedmaster and welcome to the forum!

frazierspa, Mr Patrick, Alpha and 2 others like this.
  16. alam Jan 18, 2016

Congrats! The little man is suit and watch ready for space! Make sure you take good care of his Speedy!

17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 18, 2016

Cool story bro... :thumbsup:

Doesn't even need more dragons!

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 18, 2016

Totally agree.........a moonwatch is a watch of choice to pass for next generation (forget Patek........I wouldn't be proud wearing 70's style patek except Nautilus).

19. 1685 Jan 18, 2016

Very cool, but he'll probably want one for every birthday!! And kids love Snoopy

20. E MAN Jan 18, 2016

Part of the reason I'm getting a Speedster pro is for reasons you mentioned above... You can tell by looking at that is a really nice piece but it is understated enough in its design that it's not flashy but anybody that has a clue will have some respect for it. The other thing I love about it is how versatile it is. A simple strap change an make sporty or dressy and it easily fits the part in either setting.

E