Forums Latest Members
  1. MustiRauf Dec 14, 2016

New member here so first of all, Hello Everyone. I've been collecting watches for the past 6-7 years now but never got around to joining a dedicated forum. The reason why I finally did was because of a piece that was given to me. I just have a few questions regarding the watch and hope the members here can help me out.

I got my first Omega probably somewhere around the early 2000's, a Constellation 95 (1532). This newly acquired watch however is a Omega Geneve Automatic. Was owned by my grandfather, was given to my father and I've finally taken ownership of it. It was bought somewhere around the 60's or 70's (my g.father passed away quite some time back and my dad isn't exactly sure about the year of purchase). My dad had kept it in a locker and the original strap kind of deteriorated + there is some discoloration on the case.

Now, because I am very particular about my watches, I plan on restoring it. Its been serviced once where the strap was changed to a universal leather strap + the crystal might/might not have been changed (not sure but it is scratch resistant).

So here's my question. Can anyone from here give me some insight on the watch & can anyone also tell me how I should go about restoring bezel. The case back isn't so bad and the dial still looks good to me. I need to be sure what the service shop personal are talking about when I take the watch to them.

Looking forward to some insights :) :)

IMG_20161214_104226.jpg IMG_20161214_104320.jpg IMG_20161214_104408.jpg IMG_20161214_121841.jpg
    Edited Dec 14, 2016
  2. lillatroll Dec 14, 2016

I think it is possible to get the case replated, however my understanding is, that getting it done involves having the case stripped of all its plating first, otherwise you are left with an uneven finish. I have no idea how successful the end result will be. I also belive that you can choose how many microns of plating you want, the thicker the better, I think most omega watches were 80 microns from this period. I am not sure how the watch is going to look if it is done, but you can contact companies that do this and talk to them. I am sure if you send them pictures of the watch they can give you the best guidance

MustiRauf likes this.
  3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 14, 2016

I guess the degraded case really bothers you?

If it were mine, I would be inclined to get the movement serviced and wear it as is.

MustiRauf likes this.
  4. MustiRauf Dec 15, 2016

Thanks for getting back at me. I won't mind getting the plating stripped for good with just the metal finish. Question is, will that get harmed over time. The movement is going to get serviced and I've ordered a new strap + buckle but I just wanted some advice before hand as to whether re-plating / de-plating the watch was possible to improve its looks.

The service center did contact me yesterday to bring the watch on Friday and they could give me a better idea as to what should be done. Fingers crossed, I'm really hoping the watch turns out to be more appealing

5. lillatroll Dec 15, 2016

I think that if you want to maintain the integrity of the watch then you should either leave it as is or get it replated completely. Replating it is not difficult but my understanding is that you have to get the whole case done, plating over the old plating is going to leave the watch with an uneven appearance. Also you should get it done at a minimum of 20 microns but more if it is not prohibitively expensive.A thinner plating will rub off quicker.
    The other thing to think about is that the dial has gold hands and markers so while it won't necessarily look strange, the watch won't have the same completeness about it. Obviously it is your watch and you can do what you feel is best but sympathetic restoration will probably be the best way to go.